could you go to JAIL if you spanked your child?

lets say a stranger or your nieghbor saw you do it to your child...if they view it as a wrong action, they call the cops on you.

men are easily thrown in jail when the SO says they have been abused or hit, so why wouldnt spanking be considered the same?

whats your input?

americansugar80

Asked by americansugar80 at 8:08 AM on Sep. 24, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I don't think anyone would be thrown in jail for spanking their child. If a CPS investigation were opened, they would be checking for signs of chronic abuse, bruises or other marks, etc. Part of me wishes that the people that call in reports like that could be penalized somehow - but then I worry that the one time they should have called and didn't something serious could happen.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:21 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I suppose it would depend on your state. In my state you can spank with your hand or any reasonable extension as long as it leaves no marks. Anything beyond that though isn't spanking it's abuse. IMO
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:14 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Well we dont spank, but we had an incident happen and my husband's ex called the cops on him, so they came out and knew right away that the mark on my son was actually from the rabbit hopping around the house (which was a scratch on his arm), the cops informed us that there is no law against spanking, so long as it is on the bottom and only with your hand. If you leave a mark, or use something such as a belt, then yes they consider that child abuse. The cops told us, that was what the padding was back there for. Like I said, we don't spank, but we know everyone has their own opinion on this, so this is just our choice
    motherof4and2

Answer by motherof4and2 at 8:15 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Well in my op thats where the neighbor and others should mind their own bus...but I can tell you that you wouldnt be thrown in jail without them having hard evidence that the child was being abused...I mean like marks in improper places say up the back and down the legs or arms etc..they consider the only place appropriate for spanking is the rear end...this coming directly from an officer qualified to release that info..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:17 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• No, you CAN NOT be put in jail for spanking your child.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 10:47 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• It depends on your state laws. Here in PA, the law states "Parent/guardian/person responsible for general care and supervision/ person acting at request of the above may use force for the purpose of safeguarding or promoting welfare of minor including the prevention or punishment of his misconduct, if the force is not designed to cause or known to create a substantial risk of causing death, serious bodily injury, disfigurement, extreme pain, mental distress, or gross degradation."

Which means spanking is perfectly legal and NO, you couldn't go to prison for it...

Other states have different views, but generally they are similar to this one... And in the vast majority of cases there is no risk of jail time over spanking... Beating or Abuse? Yes... But not spanking.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:42 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• ok wow i always wondered this question and i did not know this until you girls answered.
    americansugar80

Comment by americansugar80 (original poster) at 8:25 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I was on the phone with a friend of mine when her dad came in and started beating her. (We were in highschool.) Anyways, I called the cops. When they showed up, her father told the police that he had merely spanked her. Since she didn't have any bruises yet, they said that a spanking was acceptable and left. They never even questioned my friend. Guess spanking is fine in Florida, or was about 7 yrs ago.
    GingerMom33

Answer by GingerMom33 at 8:27 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• ok well spanking and beating your child is two totally different things but yes if you do it in public someone can call the cops and say that and you can go to jail if they have proof that u done it but just someone saying you can not unless the child has whelps are markings on there butt
    dinky_30830

Answer by dinky_30830 at 8:51 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I think spanking and beating are entirely different. I don't believe you can go to jail for a spanking. My brothers son called the police on him when he was in 5 or 6th grade, the police came and investigated. The police agreed with my brother and saw no other signs of abuse, however in our state you are still required to appear before a judge for a hearing. He went to court and was told that he had to take anger management and parenting classes.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 11:28 AM on Sep. 24, 2010