MIL invites Grandmother-in-law to town, leaves, and expects me to take care of her - help!

My MIL invited my GIL for a visit. I was forwarned, and expected to attend various weekend obligations so that she could spend time with her great-grandson (my son). We always have a nice time, and this was no different. However, the Monday she was set to leave I was informed that she had postponed her flight back for another week. Wait, it gets better. My MIL was leaving town that weekened, so I was expected to entertain my GIL in my MIL's absense. I was not asked, it was just expected. My hubby and I both work full time, and are moving in another week, trying to pack the house up and trying to spend some quality time with our son. I don't have time to entertain (for the second weekend in a row) .... but should I feel obligated to?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:08 PM on Oct. 20, 2008 in Relationships

• i wouldnt feel that i had to. if they didnt ask/make arrangements with you i say dont worry about it. see her when you can and tell her about the events going on in your life. Im sure she will understand. You could also invite her to spend time with your son while you get some packing done, just a thought.
    bubblebean

Answer by bubblebean at 6:14 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• I wouldn't worry about it either. Families tend to make assumptions, and it often causes problems. I agree that you need to tell GIL the full situation, and if she doesn't understand, not sure what to tell you at that point unless she wants to entertain the kids while you pack and get ready for the move. Looking at it that way, it could be a blessing in disguise!

Good luck in this and in your move.
    rhope4

Answer by rhope4 at 6:29 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• No, you are not in any way obligated.
    Anonymous