sleeping in car on break...passive agressive comments...

i work at a tv station where i come in for work at 3am every morning. that means i have to be by up by 2:30 every morning to make it on time.

hers' some back story. i have been diagnosed with migraines. i've struggled with them for the past 5 years. i have been to countless neurologists, chiropractors, doctors, and had MRI's. i've been on several different medications. when i first got this job two years ago, i really had a hard time because the hours are so wonky. i would have to leave work a lot because half way through i would get a migraine from just being over stressed and worn out. something that i figured out that has helped me to stay at work throughout every entire day and not get sick is sleeping in my car on my break.
there is nothing going on in our station between 9 and 10am. that's when i go out to my car and sleep for about 50 minutes. cont.

pmg1030

Asked by pmg1030 at 8:16 AM on Sep. 24, 2010 in Money & Work

• Sounds like you're a master control operator, maybe? (I've been a TV news producer for nearly 25 years.)

You can spend your break HOWEVER YOU WISH. Just IGNORE them. You don't need to explain a thing; indeed that's a violation of your privacy. Thing about TV folks is that the industry is a small one and we all know who actually works and who the jerks are. You have encountered the jerks. Pay them no mind. Responding to them just feeds them.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:13 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• If you are doing your job to the very best of your ability and having these naps helps you be more productive and to feel better, then screw them and their rude comments. You could always just come out and nail them when they are being passive aggressive and tell them "I choose to spend my break resting to avoid migraines so I can be productive, I am sorry if that bothers you, but not sure why you care one way or the other if I am doing my job right". Sometimes just calling people out who are being passive aggressive and think that maybe it is escaping notice will make them stop and think that you are more observant of their rudeness than they thought. If this is what works for you, then do what you need to do. I have been there and done that, I suffered from debilitating migraines for years and got some rude comments from co workers sometimes as well and had to learn to let it roll off my back. cont.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 8:34 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I would put a note on my car window saying "If you're wondering why i am napping, it's because it keeps my migranes at bay".

People at work will use ANYTHING to gossip about. I wouldn't worry about it too much. I mean, you still have your job after a year, so obviously you are good at your job regardless what you do at break time.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:01 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Take your naps and unless there is some policy about napping in your personal vehicle in the parking lot at your workplace don't worry about them they are just very jealous because they didn't think of it. I know that sounded a little childish but I mean why is it their problem or place to say anything unless there was a no sleeping in the parking lot rule ya know!
    BellaKristy

Answer by BellaKristy at 8:31 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Say something like "yes, it is my power nap and it helps keep migraines away". Be up front and non-apologetic. Keep it short and simple. As long as your direct supervisor/boss is OK with it don't stress out over what others think.. Companies are actually being encouraged to let their employess have power naps.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:19 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Not sure what the question is but my husband takes a nap every day in his truck during lunch. I think that it's healthy to take naps and probably gives you body a chance to recharge and take a load off from the stress!
    BellaKristy

Answer by BellaKristy at 8:23 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• i do this because it helps me to rejuvenate and rest a little so i can come back in after my break ready to work again until 1:30pm and i've noticed since i've started doing that that i've kept my migraine number way down. the problem is that i have had people, including a supervisor from another channel make passive aggressive comments to me about having a "nice nap" or not having to blast my air conditioner during my morning naps but i say they are passive aggressive because the way it's said is condescendingly and not sincere at all. i'm really bothered by the comments about my naps because people do see me sleeping out in the parking lot but it's my break so i feel like i should be able to do what i want on my break. but i don't like being viewed as unprofessional or lazy or whatever they might be saying. what would you do?? i've been doing this about 1 year and half. thanks
    pmg1030

Comment by pmg1030 (original poster) at 8:23 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I would also recommend drinking lots of water and cutting off caffeine if you haven't already. Sugars also can contribute to migraines. Good luck!!
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 8:35 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Absolutely take a nap if it helps! :)
    knjsmommy1210

Answer by knjsmommy1210 at 8:35 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• take your naps it is ok to do so.
    ladybug36519

Answer by ladybug36519 at 8:51 AM on Sep. 24, 2010