Roaches

I keep a clean home, but I recently had a family member come and stay for a bit till they got back on their feet. They brought roaches with them and now they are in my house. Is there a cheaper solution to get rid of them other than calling in a professional (we kinda broke right now), because evidently being clean isn't enough!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:19 AM on Sep. 24, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Roaches have nothing to do with clean. They get in where they can, and as long as there is food (by food I mean actual food, cardboard, paper..they eat just about anything) they will stay.
    The best thing I have ever found is Borax. Put it in two-liter bottle caps and put the caps in the back of cabinets, behind the fridge, places where you think they might run around. They will crawl across the detergent and take it back into the wall and over a period of a couple weeks it will kill them.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 8:23 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Can I get that at any Wal-mart or do I need to get it from a specialty store?
    BellaKristy

Answer by BellaKristy at 8:24 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• we live in the woods, used to live in a trailor park. We thought we had got away from the roaches when we moved. It is easy to get rid of the wood roaches (the big ones). All you have to do is get the bombers from walmart and they will be gone, now german roaches on the other hand, are a lot harder. People close to us already had these when we moved out here, and they travel from home to home. My husband found the same solution that the bug people use at Russel's (which is like Lowes) and you mix it in a container and spray around your home. They still haven't gone competely. My BF told me that there is a bug man that acutally sets out some kind of birth control for them and the spray as well, which is guarenteed to work or they come back for free. We are really considering calling him because we haven't been able to find this birth control stuff yet.
    motherof4and2

Answer by motherof4and2 at 8:24 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• motherof4and2 - the chemical is called IGR - it's in Bengal.
    OP- Borax is laundry detergent. 20 mule team Borax is what the box says. I've never had it not work, it just takes a little time. The upside is that you don't have to wash all your linens and dishes like after you bomb, it doesn't leave a chemical residue on your counters and floors. It's safe to use with pets and kids in the home, provided you keep it out of immediate reach.
    Another solution is using molasses and yeast. Just mix the two together and put some on jar lids or paper plates. The roaches are attracted to it and eat it, and the yeast causes a gas buildup that they can't eliminate. I would employ both methods. The borax gets taken into the wall where it affects the colony, but the molasses gets them quick.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 8:34 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Jenny-talia, so the birth control is in Bengal?
    motherof4and2

Answer by motherof4and2 at 8:36 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• There is some really good solutions on here, we should bump it, you think?
    BellaKristy

Answer by BellaKristy at 8:41 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• We recently went and picked up my BIL's stuff and they had roaches bad well they traveled with us and then we got them. We did the bug bomb things didn't work and we set off plenty. I know it's expensive and when I only saw 4 after that I called the pros in I had never had them and didn't want them to multiply. They like warm places like the refrigerator, oven etc. I'd say get some of those sticky traps for bugs and set them in places that are warm even by the coffee pot it's warm those are really cheap. Other than that just keep fighting those little critters GL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:47 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• bengal works realy well.we had them 2 and now thier all gone.
    ladybug36519

Answer by ladybug36519 at 8:48 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Combat Gel works really great, too. Make sure you put it in spots pets cant get to, though, because it can make them sick. You have to continuously put it out for a few weeks but it will get rid of them.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 9:07 AM on Sep. 24, 2010