Can anyone guide me through making something Mosaic?

I have a small childrens patio table that I had my husband cut out a piece of wood to fit the top the top was/is cracked. How do I get started on making it Mosaic so I can use it for a patio table outside?
Thanks for any help!

Moms_Angels1960

Asked by Moms_Angels1960 at 8:41 AM on Sep. 24, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Using broken tile pieces is good, You can also use newspaper or old story book pages depending on the theme, I think it was covered with laquer, I saw that on a show once but havent tryed it. I have done a tile mosaic though and it was fun and a little messy! The only thing since it's a child's table is making sure the sharp edges are rounded or covered good. I used the same method that is used when laying tile grout and all.Depending on the size of the table it can also get a little heavy. Just mention what kind of mosaic and I might can help a little more.
    BellaKristy

Answer by BellaKristy at 8:47 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Using paper is easy too, although I think it's decoupage at that point, and not a mosaic. Just get this stuff called mod podge at the craft store and shellack over whatever you put down. You can tint the mod podge with paints, some of it has glitter or other finishes.
    As far as the tile mosaic...get the broken tile, or you can find pieces at most craft stores that are made for making mosaics. They generally have more regular shapes and aren't as sharp. Glue them down, then grout. That's all there is to it. Super easy.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 8:52 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:55 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Thanks Ladies I am not sure if I should just glue pieces of tile or make a pattern of some kind. I won't be using it for a child I want it for sitting outside by a lawn glider that I have so I can out my drink on it while sitting outside or put a plant on.
    Thanks Samurai-chica
    Moms_Angels1960

Comment by Moms_Angels1960 (original poster) at 9:15 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I really think I want to do a flower theme that's where I am stuck
    Moms_Angels1960

Comment by Moms_Angels1960 (original poster) at 9:16 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• draw what you want on the wood. You're going to cover it up with the tiles anyway. You do need to be sure to lay the pattern out before you start gluing though, to make sure you can fit the pieces together in a pleasing manner.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 7:03 PM on Sep. 24, 2010