my son is six yrs old

hi my name is shelly and i have a son that is 6 yrs old and he has been diagnosed with autismn but his tantrums that he has is not just from being autisktic just like this morning for example he had a tantrum just because he didnt want his dad giving him a bath and getting him ready for school he was kicking screaming at the top of his lungs would not hush for anything can he be having some type of seizure

dinky_30830

Asked by dinky_30830 at 8:42 AM on Sep. 24, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Well if it isn't the autism... he's spoiled. He's thrown fits before and got away with it.
    When he does that, continue with what you're doing. Like the bath, his dad needs to just continue helping him wash. Then when it's done, make him stand/sit in the corner for six minutes (a minute for each year of age)... if you don't let him get away with it, he'll stop.
    Gremlyn1980

Answer by Gremlyn1980 at 8:44 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Are you sure it's not the autism? Not trying in any way to question your knowledge as your childs parent, but my friend has a child with ausbergers( sure i spelled that wrong sorry), and he has tantrums that are directly from his condition. I wouldn't have known it unless she told me because I thought he was just being spoiled. There are certain things he has to do a certain way and certain routines he has, if anything gets messed up his whole day is bad sometimes. There are times he has bad days and she has no idea why, but hse knows that it's the autism because she said the look in his eyes are completely different! I am sure you know all this already though. I am not a parent of an autistic child myself but being there for my BFF with hers has opened my eyes a lot to the challenges the child and parents face. There is a group on Cafe Mom for parents with autistic children they might have better info too!
    BellaKristy

Answer by BellaKristy at 8:58 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• My dd is 5 and has has mild aspergers. Tantrums have never been one of her issues really. But disobeying IS!!!!

I know her condition makes it harder for her to follow directions. But she is smart and she can learn. If I allow her to disobey and blame it on her apspergers I am handicapping her myself!!!! I set rules for her, give her plenty of explanation and make sure she understands...then she receives consequences just like my typical son would!!!

I tell people that I know she is smart and I know she can learn it just takes more effort on my part and HER part!!!

mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:00 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Actually, that behavior could be a result of his having autism. Is he nonverbal or is he verbal with poor/inadequte communication skills? If his regular routine is for you to help him get ready in the morings, then he may have been protesting his change in routine, something children with autism do no take too well. It could also be the way that Dad was trying to get him ready. He may not have transitioned him well between activities, which can also be related to a routine change. Children with autism like "sameness" & will protest most energetically when the "right" steps are not done in the "right" order (to them, not necessarily to the rest of the world). Many children on the spectrum exhibit OCD tendancies, too. Your son may have been doing something the he "had" to finish b/f taking his bath & Dad didn't let him finish & that would trigger a meltdown, too. Again, transition & routine. I would consider these b/f a seizure
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 9:03 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• My dad has seizures and it doesnt sound like
    AWebber212

Answer by AWebber212 at 9:25 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• My son has epilepsey. And seizures are not screaming and kicking. It is blocking out, unable to focus, going limp. I do not know much about Autism, but I know he is not having a seizure.
    eluc

Answer by eluc at 9:31 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• eluc....actually, there is a type of seizure that can cause a person to have violent tantrums - temporal lobe seizures, which are a type of focal point seizure. I only know this because my son was evaluated for this type of seizure about 6 years ago. There are 100s of epilepsy syndromes, each with its own set of symptoms, age of onset, etc. Some are more common than others, while some are extremely rare.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 10:00 AM on Sep. 24, 2010