My SS is having problems with his homework

So I sit and talk with him about the homework, he can give me answers, he can tell me how he got there, put then he writes down something completely different. Not even close to the answer. He had to write backward from 35 by 5s today. He recited it back to me with ease like 3 times. Then he wrote 35, 30, 25, 20, 35, 5, 0. I have offered to sit with him and watch him and help, but he doesn't want that. I am not sure why he is doing this.

Mom1Stepmom1

Asked by Mom1Stepmom1 at 6:21 PM on Oct. 20, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I'm an ESE teacher who's worked with lots of kids (some ESE, some regular ed) with this problem. How old is he? Some children have a difficult time transferring information onto paper. Especially around 2nd- 3rd grade when they are expected to do more of it. You could have him dictate the answers to you, then copy your writing onto his paper.

I would talk to his teacher and see if she's concerned.  It could just be a typical delay, or it could be something more serious.  It depends on lots of factors.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 6:34 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• how old is ss
    CarrienKansas

Answer by CarrienKansas at 6:34 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• He is 7 in about a month.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 10:51 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• I agree with Maureen55. Tal k with his teacher and share your concerns, he may just be having a tougher time getting to that point.
    Sherry6470

Answer by Sherry6470 at 1:07 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• my little bro had this problem - he could easily come up with the answer but getting it onto paper was hard - my stepmom would write down the answer on a clean piece of paper as he was saying them (he could see her writing it)
    then she would have him copy her writing onto his homework sheet - this gave him a chance to come up with the answer, see it written down, and write it himself.
    he is doing much better and doesnt need that kind of help any more
    vakatia

Answer by vakatia at 1:49 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• We have conferences in two days so I will be sure to bring it up. Thanks for the answers ladies, Vakatia, I will try that tip in the mean time.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 3:01 PM on Oct. 21, 2008