Christmas presents, What's more important: that you spend the same amount on each kid or that you get the same amount of stuff for each kid?

I know thats probably a silly question but I have been slowly picking up things as I see them. I have found a lot of my 4 yr old DDs Christmas stuff on clearance. I have gotten super lucky with it. I haven't spent much at all and I'm almost done with her stuff. Well actually she has more stuff already than my 1 yr old DD. I have spent more on my youngest with her toys though because I haven't found anything on clearance for her. So... What is more important? I suppose it doesn't really matter at this age though......

MizAnn

Asked by MizAnn at 8:51 AM on Sep. 24, 2010 in General Parenting

• I buy the same amount of gifts and try to get close to the same amount of money (if they weren't on clearance) but it doesn't really matter.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 8:55 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Depends on the age of the kid. If you are going to worry about it at all. the younger kids will want the same amount of stuff. Older kids who know about costs will be more interested in cost.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:56 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I really try to spend the same amount of money and have the same amount of things to open - but the kids range in age from 15 down to 2.5. Now that we have teenagers, they understand that they get 1 or 2 big things, then some smaller ones; the younger kids get "more" but I still don't spend as much on them.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:58 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I say when they are young they should have the same amount spent and the same number of presents also. I know it gets tough to manage that when you find things on clearance, but it is most fair. If you found a lot of clothes for one then put them in boxes together (like three outfits to one small clothing box), but be sure to find her some good toys too. :) you know she will want some! :)
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 8:59 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I try to get them the same amount of gifts, but I also have a set amount of money for each child. They are still young enough where it's quantity and not quality of gifts.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 9:04 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I agree that when they are little it is more important that the amount of gifts be the same. Older children can understand the cost of things and can see the amount spent was the same.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:11 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Well we tell our little kids (the ones who still believe in Santa) to write a letter to Santa asking for that many presents. Everybody gets what they asked for. The older ones get a small present and money so they can go shopping and get whatever they like.
    mysevenkids

Answer by mysevenkids at 9:18 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I buy the same amount of gifts for both girls. They don't know how much things cost so the cost really doesnt matter.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 9:24 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Same amount of Money. Or at least close to it. But our oldest is 9yrs older than his middle brother and he is a senior in high school. So he usually gets the most expensive gift.
    eluc

Answer by eluc at 9:24 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• same amount of stuff for the most part -and if one gets an electronic item or something- they both do the amount of money on each doesn't matter so much
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:04 AM on Sep. 24, 2010