My boy needs glasses......

My 8yrs old needs glasses. And now that the teacher has brought it to our attention, we really see that it is necessary. We didn't really notice a problem until now. So, can anyone tell me where I can get a reasonable exam and glasses? Walmart, JCPenny's, Sears?
Thanks.

eluc

Asked by eluc at 9:10 AM on Sep. 24, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Usually if you have insurance, they will pay for the exam. However, if that is not the case, Wal Mart is pretty good and they usually have real good deals on glasses. Kids will break them and bend them out of shape so you don't want to go too expensive. But you also don't want to go too cheap. We use Stein Optical. They always have two pairs for $99.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 9:13 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• america's best usually has a 2 pair for 99$ deal.
    wildwiccan83

Answer by wildwiccan83 at 9:46 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Walmart has good glasses at good prices
    lchristianson5

Answer by lchristianson5 at 4:28 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Call your insurance (vision) and ask them what doctors they find in your area that takes that type of vision insurance.

Call facility and make an apt.

Most, if not all, eye facilitys have their own glasses you can order right there at the doctors office.

Or, you can go to Lens Crafters (we used them when DD got her first set at 2) or wherever your insurance covers to buy the glasses if you do not want to do it at the doctors.

Only thing is, if you order from the doctors, you have to wait a week.

When DD got her new set in July, we waited the week. It would have not cost any different to get them there or somewhere else that our insurance covered.
    CandyHorse

Answer by CandyHorse at 10:35 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• If you have insurance that will cover it, see a pediatric opthamologist. My DD needs glasses. She also has a weak eye muscle in one eye and needs to wear an eye patch a few hours each day. There was the possibility of surgery if it didn't improve with treatment and her glasses. Her eye doctor has been fabulous. She was afraid of the exam, the drops and the prospect of treatment. Having a doctor used to working with children made a HUGE difference. He gave her cartoons to watch while he looked in her eyes. There was no struggle to get her to look in this direction or that. It was simply "just watch Buzz Lightyear. Good girl." you can fill the eye glass prescription anywhere. It doesn't have to be the shop associated with the dr's office. We get the exam there and her glasses at Pearl Vision where our eye plan covers us for the full cost.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 10:48 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Walmart is awesome you can get the exam and glasses for less $100 usually.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 6:38 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Do you have vision insurance? Start there and see who is a preferred provider. If not, good luck--kid's glasses are expensive. I have used Eyemart-they have one year guarentee on frames and for an extra $50 you can get it for the lenses too....trust me-you want to have this! We are replacing our 3rd pair this year!! Boys are tough on their glasses! Make sure you get kid-tough lenses...more money but less risk of eye injury. I've had friends use Walmart and Sears....but try and go through a pediatric opthamologist as idmrmom said-it does help. You can always have them do the exam and them get the glasses somewhere cheaper. But remember, you get what you pay for!!!
    connorsmom1970

Answer by connorsmom1970 at 11:15 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• We have always gone to Sears for the exams (just know the Dr there) but usually go to Wal-Mart for the frames. My youngest has had glasses for over a year now and he is 5. They have help up really well. Haven't had a broken pair yet lol. Wal-Mart will also adjust the frames and such for free if they get bent .
    MrsHatch4

Answer by MrsHatch4 at 9:18 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• I went to Walmart. My husband goes to the doctor there for his contacts. Both my boys have a stigmatism, so our health insureance will cover the exam cost. We left there paying $142 for two pairs.
    eluc

Comment by eluc (original poster) at 9:45 AM on Oct. 1, 2010