TV

How much, if any, TV do you let your LO's watch per day? We have the TV on for a good chunk of the morning but nobody sits down and watches it. I know it's probably awful, but I have a hard time being home all day with just my LO and like the extra noise in the background.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:16 AM on Sep. 24, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'm the same way its usually on for background noise i will usually just put on cartoons while she plays in the floor but she really doesnt watch it.
    AWebber212

Answer by AWebber212 at 9:19 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• we are not home during the day, he is at daycare and I'm at work
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 9:19 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• It's always just my hubby and I home each day with our 3 year old. We put it on Sprout (a kids cartoom channel) and he watches it off and on all day. He loves it. It keeps him occupied, it's not bad for him. They have a lot of educational shows that come on. And most of all, he doesn't get in bad moods when it's not on, or when we turn it off. (Which is something we were worried about) He can easily walk away from it and come color at the table or help us put away groceries, etc. He loves it, but fine without it.
    AtHomeMommy-3

Answer by AtHomeMommy-3 at 9:21 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• We are like that, it's always on for background noise but none of them are really interested in watching TV. My 5yo and 9yo twins are allowed to watch as much as they want just because they are really not interested.
    My teens can watch 3 hours a day after finishing their H/W but they both do sports and after-school activities so they don't have time to watch TV for 3 hours.
    mysevenkids

Answer by mysevenkids at 9:23 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I usually have music on but my toddlers watch movies when they eat. It's the only way my daughter will sit still. I know some people have problems with that and say they should sit at a table but it works so o well.
    Smiley001

Answer by Smiley001 at 9:44 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• DS likes certain shows, but most of the time it's just background noise.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 1:43 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Usually, my 2 DD only watch Sesame Street, Dinosaur Train, and Sid the Science kid and they're in bed for a nap and are playing the rest of the day. So, 2 hours at the most.
    lilmizzie27

Answer by lilmizzie27 at 2:06 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• My DS watches 2 episodes in the AM and then he has to earn his 2 eveing episodes and that is it. Of course there are some days where there are exceptions. If he is sick or if there are no other activities but on these days we usually watch a movie. I had always read it is actually not just the viewing that is bad but the audio. I guess it distracts their mental processing. So unfortunately the background noise can be equally as harmful This said my DH ALWAYS has Sports Center on during the weekends.....but generally I am good during the week. By no means is this a dig on anyone...just what I learned and what I beieve is best for my child...
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 3:58 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• We almost never have our TV on. We don't have cable and we don't really get broadcast, even with the rabbit ears, so we don't watch it much. When we do, it's used for video games and movies. DD1 is 2 and occasionally, maybe once a week, will play a game with Daddy. Otherwise, she just plays on her own and sometimes with Mommy.

If I had to guess an average, she might watch an hour a week, some of that at a friend's house.
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 3:15 PM on Sep. 25, 2010