• In the Spotlight:

I'm sure it's legal, but is it fair to me, as a tenant?

Does anyone else think it strange that my landlords insisted I leave my apartment for the afternoon so it can be shown to prospective tenants? Or that, by their own admission, they will be here a full fifteen minutes, in my apartment, before their prospective tenants arrive? I feel really weird about this...

sophiemross

Asked by sophiemross at 9:39 AM on Sep. 24, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I thought you had to agree to it. When we were looking for places they couldn't find anyone that would let us see their place before we moved into ours.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 9:40 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Whenever I looked they always had me look at an empty one or one they had furnished for people to look

That is weird that they have you leaving like that. I would say no
    Smiley001

Answer by Smiley001 at 9:41 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Thanks for answering. I wasn't really given a choice- I was told to vacate the premises, for up to two hours, tonight at 5:00 PM.
    sophiemross

Comment by sophiemross (original poster) at 9:42 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• It's not illegal to tell him that you need to be home then. He cannot kick you out of your house because he wants to show the apartment. Just ell him "I would feel more comfortable being here when you show theapartment". He absolutely cannot make you leave until your lease is up, even if he'd rather show the apartment when you are not there.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:44 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• No I really don't think a land lord can make you leave your home to show it. That's not right, I wouldn't want strangers walking around my home for sure........

zbee

Answer by zbee at 9:45 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• "I was told to vacate the premises, for up to two hours, tonight at 5:00 PM"

He cannot do that. He cannot make you leave so he can show your apartment UNLESS your lease is already up. You can either tell him you'd rather stay, or you can just stay there without even saying anything. I would tell him no, that i don't want strangers in my apartment with all of my stuff there 09while i am gone. There is no law that he can make you leave to show the apartment. If you're nervous about it, re-read your lease agreement. I doubt there is anything in there that says you must leave the premises while he shows the apartment.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:47 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I wouldn't do it. It doesn't seem legal to me. I would DEFINATELY call for a free consultation at a lawyers office ASAP. They typically will do one over the phone.

Good luck!
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 9:48 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• As long as you are still on the lease, a landlord cannot enter your home without written notice 72 hours prior. I have never heard of them making you leave though.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 9:55 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Thank you all so much. I am still on the lease, but I gave the landlords notice that I am moving out at the end of October.
    sophiemross

Comment by sophiemross (original poster) at 10:03 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• they cannot make you leave your place to show it.......when they we're showing our duplex i stayed just about every time......i know it pissed the realtor off, but i didn't care...i didn't like him, and was not comfortable with him being there without one of us.
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 10:18 AM on Sep. 24, 2010