When did you...

...take your child's "security object" away? Some kids have blankets or PJs but my daughter has a brown stuffed animal doggy that she carries around EVERYWHERE and will not sleep without. At what age would you take it away?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:35 PM on Oct. 20, 2008 in General Parenting

• I say you should choose your battles wisely. Unless it is causing physical harm (like binkies do) I see no point in ever taking it away. When she gets older and it gets more raggedy looking I would just suggest that she leave it at home or in the car on long trips.

AvasMommy810

Answer by AvasMommy810 at 10:41 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• i never did my son has a stuffed bear and he cant sleep withoutit but eventually he stopped taking it everywhere he is 4 now and only sleps with it
    iloveyall2008

Answer by iloveyall2008 at 6:37 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• my dh is 3 and still on the binky i know its bad but i aint takin it away from her..its not hurting her
    vadasmom

Answer by vadasmom at 6:38 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• I haven't taken my either of my son's blankies away. I don't think that I will. I will however at a point limit where they take them. My 3 1/2 yo already keeps his blanket on his bed at all times. He doesn't take it anywhere any more, his choice. My 21 month old takes his (he calls it "BB") EVERYWHERE. Probably this next summer I will start limiting BB to the house only, no more taking it everywhere with us. But, actually taking away their security blankets, no I won't do that.

boizmom

Answer by boizmom at 6:38 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• i meant dd
    vadasmom

Answer by vadasmom at 6:41 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• let her outgrow it herself. I had this same question about my 7 yo son and his teddy. the overwhelming opinion was let him have it.
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 6:47 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• My son had a what he lovingly called "duckie" that looked like it has been threw the ringer and back. He gave it up many years ago but I never took it away or limited it- believe me a child will give up their security item when they are ready. My son is graduating from high school without duckie but let me tell Mom still has it so it. lol
    candygirl1030

Answer by candygirl1030 at 6:50 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• Let it go. Kids have so many issues along the way you have to learn to choose your battles. Stuffed dogs will hurt nothing as long as she is not stuffing it into her brief case going off to work.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 7:28 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• I have never taken a lovie away from any of my kids or grandkids. One by one they all gave them up on their own. My youngest grnadson sucked on his wrist from before he was born until about 3 weeks ago (he's 4 1/2) We think maybe he's given it up...if he hasn't..he will in time. I think it traumatizes kids more when you force the issue. NOw, I will say with my oldest we had to get to a point where he had to leave his lovie in his room. If he wanted it he had to go in there. That lasted a very short time. I think the Ninja turtle stayed on the bed a few more years but ceased to be an issue.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 7:28 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• I just let that run it's course. They'll leave it alone themselves eventually.
    lilmomma4

Answer by lilmomma4 at 7:54 PM on Oct. 20, 2008