Will using quilting thread on my regular sewing machine hurt it?

I'm trying to start sewing my daughter's costume today, but I just noticed that I have quilting thread, which is wiry and thicker than regular thread...just wondering if it is still okay to use, and if it will make any difference...

SotilSol

Asked by SotilSol at 6:36 PM on Oct. 20, 2008 in Hobbies & Crafts

• http://www.quiltinghelp.com/quilting-articles/the-difference-in-quilting-thread/

here is a page that should help...it says some macines are not equipped to handle quilting thread
    restlessspirit

Answer by restlessspirit at 1:58 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• I would never use it on my machine. It will cause needles to break and it could very well damage your shaft. It sure wouldn't be worth it to take the chance for me.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 7:03 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• ive used quilting thread on my 70's singer.. it breaks a few needles getting thru the entire procss, but i go reallly slow.. which obviously takes long.. if i am not in hurry to finish a gift one, i try by hand as much as possible.. but you realllly gotta love to sew...
    lovinallofthem

Answer by lovinallofthem at 4:59 PM on Oct. 21, 2008