My son has stopped wanting to eat breakfast, any tips

He now just throws all the food at me. He still likes the food, he will eat the same things at any other point in the day. I dont fuss over it. I calmly put it back on his plate maybe 3-4 times, and then just let him down to play and try to offer him food in an hour or so later. But I dont want him to be missing out on breakfast. Any tips? I've tried giving yummy sticky messy food to keep him entertained, but he only loves to through that more :(

lasombrs

Asked by lasombrs at 9:46 AM on Sep. 24, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• The Dr. told me at this age their growth slows tremendously so their appetite does as well. Toddlers just do not eat as much. When they start throwing or playing with the food it is time to take it away.
    The Dr. also told me not to worry, they will eat when they get hungry, just keep presenting food at normal intervals - breakfast lunch snack diiner.
    I have found that if I freeze Go-Gurts ( the yougarts in a tube) that she will eat those because she thinks it is a treat like a popsicle :)
    chefronswife

Answer by chefronswife at 9:50 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I'd say just offer him something smaller - it doesn't sound like he's hungry. Kid's appetites vary.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 9:48 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• my 19 month old has a hard time sitting and eating, so I put a plate of stuff on the coffee table and she will come by and eat bits and pieces here and there. it works for us.
    lilmizzie27

Answer by lilmizzie27 at 11:54 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Well, I wouldn't pick it up after he does it the second time if he throws the food. I would say, "Okay, you're not getting anymore if you keep doing that!"

It's one thing for a child to not eat their food, it's another for them to throw it at you. You keep letting him throw it at you he's going to keep doing it. He needs to learn it's not okay and that it's important to eat his food. He doesn't have to eat it all at once at the table, he just has to eat it.
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 9:49 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• just keep offering it to him. he will want it again eventually. my 16 month old goes through phases like that...
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 9:53 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• My 22 month old doesn't like to eat first thing in the morning. He has a cup of milk when he gets up, and then an hour or so later he will have his breakfast. Maybe your son just isn't hungry at breakfast time?

Answer by missanc at 11:05 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• A serving size for a child his age is 1 tablespoon.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 8:30 PM on Sep. 24, 2010