My 9 yr .old doesnt sleep thru the night

My daughter will be 9 in December and still doesnt sleep thru the night. I have tried Melatonin, Benadryl, and even Tylenol PM...I dont know what to do, please help!!!!

ErikaT4510

Asked by ErikaT4510 at 9:47 AM on Sep. 24, 2010 in General Parenting

• Maybe she can't sleep because of having alot on her mind. I am wired that way.and if I go to bed with something weighing my mind,I have crazy dreams and wake up.Maybe a child counselor, then she could sleep with a clear head?
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 9:54 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• You need to talk to her doctor if you're worried. Does she wake up, pee, and go back to bed? Normal. Does she wake up and think she's ready to take on the day? Are you putting her to bed too early? What is her night sleep schedule? More details would help.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:57 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Sorry, I should have left more details. Ok, so the rules are to lay down at 8:30 and light out by 9:30. I usually lay with her from 9:00-9:30 and then tuck her in and leave. She gets up between 1-2 and comes and gets me to lay with her again. If I leave after she falls asleep, she will come and get me again. I am losing my mind with interrupted sleep. I have tried to walk her back and tuck her in or just told her that she has to go back to bed on her own, but she then throws a temper tantrum and wakes up the whole house.

Her lack of sleep is definitely having an impact on her behavior during the day and I am at a loss with what to do. I asked her pediatrician but she said to limit all TV daily (except 2 hrs on Saturday) which to me seems totally unrealistic.
    ErikaT4510

Comment by ErikaT4510 (original poster) at 10:17 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I would wait until a long weekend and just let her have her temper tantrums until she learns its not going to work anymore and she needs to go to sleep on her own. Sounds to me like she has you wrapped around her finger.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:32 AM on Sep. 24, 2010