they are wanting to test my daughter for

ad/adhd and check her for mental health issues. that frightens me it makes me think i am a bad mom especially on the mental health issuses. but they told me for them to check mental health it is a long process and it takes a lot to get our insurance to approve it but for a quick check for add/adhd autism they can do it in a hour without approval. how can they diagnose it in a hour? would you be afraid they would misdiagnose it?

sherryb1273

Asked by sherryb1273 at 10:10 AM on Sep. 24, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• i wouldnt be afraid i have a four yr old daughter and i would want to get her evaluated as well
    SHYMILLENIUM

Answer by SHYMILLENIUM at 10:12 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• my daughter tested for autism (she is three) it took five one hour sessions from a PhD to get report
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 10:13 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Mental Health issues are often hereditary, so you couldn't help that. I'm not sure how they diagnose it, but if you don't like the results get a second opinion.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 10:13 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• A "quick check" is something I would do, to give you a starting point for treatment (if necessary). It will also help with the insurance company if you need further testing.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:14 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• How old is your DD? They thought my 4 yr old might have a form of autism they tested her ( they played with her in a room for an hour to observe her and asked her and me questions) and they didnt think she has it they still think she may have ADHD which is attention deficit hyper-active disorder. They wont to wait til she gets about 5-6 yrs old before they test her for it.
    AWebber212

Answer by AWebber212 at 10:14 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• If you were a bad mom, you would not care if she were tested.and you would not think twice about it.but you do care.So you are not a bad mom.And some mental issues are chemical in the brain.So you could not "Cause" that to happen.
    I would do my own research online.and write a list of qyestions you have( so you don't forget one).And if you are unsure, get a second opinion.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 10:16 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• As far as inusrance is concerned, do what you gotta do and call who you gotta call, to get what you want.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 10:17 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Can't you tell, as her mother, that something is not right? I diagnosed my son with ADD. I took him to the doctor and told them I thought he had it. He sent me to a specialist who agreed. Surely you must see that they have a valid reason for wanting the testing done. You need to find out exactly what it is and begin dealing with it. You are not a bad mother. It's scary and you love her!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:21 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• anonymous , yes i know something is wrong. i have been telling them for a long time. and no one would listen to me. just like with her (Central) Auditory Processing Disorder. i had to fight to get her tested for it. i knew she had it before they did. it runs in her dad side of the family. but they say she is showing the same things her cousin is so they are thinking add/adhd and autism together. but they are trying to help me fight to get her tested now. i just do not want a misdiagnosis. i just feel i failed her. that i did something wrong in my pregnancy that i may not even know about and now she is suffering because of it

sherryb1273

Comment by sherryb1273 (original poster) at 10:26 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I wouldn't be worried that they would misdiagnose it.. they probably see it all the time.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 10:26 AM on Sep. 24, 2010