Would it be considered tacky if I want to use an old nickname?

The nickname I really like is one that an old boyfriend of mine used. A couple of my friends used it, too, but not many. This boyfriend and I started dating when we were 14 on and off for four years (he moved away when we were 16) and got super serious when we were just 18. Relationship ended for good but we're still friends. His oldest daughter is less than two weeks younger than my daughter. My husband knows we still keep in touch and knows, briefly, our history.

I love the name and would like to use it again in relation to the one I use now (Tam).

_Tam_

Asked by _Tam_ at 10:17 AM on Sep. 24, 2010 in Relationships

• Well, sure you could ask to have it changed. BUT, it is up to other people whether or not they'll use it. The fact is, people DIDN'T use it once you broke up with ex, which tells me that it was more of a pet name for you than a nickname. You could start introducing yourself as Bram to new people, but I doubt that those close to you will change their patterns.
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 12:39 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• It would be weird.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 10:18 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I certainly wouldn't call it tacky. I'm convinced that what people want to call themselves is important to their self-esteem. If you love it, use it, who cares whose idea it originally was.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 10:34 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Go for it. It's a name, and it's not like you're holding on to it because you miss your old relationship. You like the name. Do it if you wanna!
    Guinhyvar

Answer by Guinhyvar at 10:56 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Just don't tell your husband where the nickname came from.Act like you made it up or an aunt used to call you that.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 10:19 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• You can't really change a nickname just because you broke up.. If other people called you that, then it was a public nickname.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 10:22 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I'm not sure I'd go there but it's up to you.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:22 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• i think it's one thing when you acquire a nick name that sticks with you for life, but i find it odd when people give themselves nick names & try to force a nick name on themselves. I have a nick name, no one EVER calls me by my birth name except for Dr.'s. My nick name is Chica. My friend from childhood is Mexican & I'm 12/ Argentine. So, i called him "Chico" (small boy) and he called me "Chica" (small girl). Well, others started calling me that too. And here i am 20 years later & lots of people think that Chica is my real name...LOL. My DH cannot call me by my birth name, he says it's just too weird. Sometimes I'll here "Kathy". Which is weird & i just hate that name so much. My father still calls me that & so does my brother. But, everyone else in my life, including my mother still calls me Chica. I thought of changing it legally because it's so weird when someone happens to call me by my real name.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:27 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Agreeing with the homies on this one, Bram. ;)
    ErikaRobin

Answer by ErikaRobin at 11:04 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• What about T-Bone?
    yogapantz

Answer by yogapantz at 11:42 PM on Sep. 24, 2010