I got checked yesterday and the doctor said the baby's head is still floating. What does that mean?

I'm pretty sure I know what this means but I was going to ask does that mean that labor isn't close at all? Or is that one of those things that can change at the drop of a hat?? My doctor really wants me to go in to labor before my due date (im 35 weeks) because I'm trying for a vbac this time and the longer I go past my due date the less chances I have of sucseeding with the vbac.

luvsgriffin

Asked by luvsgriffin at 10:30 AM on Sep. 24, 2010 in Pregnancy

• 35 weeks is still early, but it means that the head is not engaged in your pelvis.

I wish you the best of luck with your vbac attempt! I hope it all goes well! :)
    Courtney610

Answer by Courtney610 at 10:34 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• As the PP said, it means that the head isn't engaged -- that the baby hasn't "dropped". But it doesn't mean anything as far as labor.

At my appointment at 39 weeks 3 days, my baby was still a floater (and I was only dilated to "maybe a 1" and not effaced at all). I went into labor 3 days later and had a successful VBAC. Don't let your doctor and his notes of "progress" (or lack thereof) scare you. It's all meaningless. It will happen when your body and baby are ready. :)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 11:06 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• It means when he pushes on the head with his hand he can still feel amniotic fluid between the head and the cervix. Meaning baby's head is not engaged but in the pelvis. Totally expected at 35 weeks. Don't worry, vbac or not, your body goes into labor. I would just let it happen, don't put a deadline on it.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:08 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• thanks ladies. My doctor is very supportive of me having a vbac. Hes was just saying becuase I didnt go into labor with my first ( induced after a week. which I know now is too early) he hopes I go in to labor on my own. He's a different doctor then the last. I had a horrible experiance the first time around and he wants me to enjoy it this time
    luvsgriffin

Comment by luvsgriffin (original poster) at 11:16 AM on Sep. 24, 2010