Medication for behavioral issues

My husband, his step-father, and his adopted sister all either have ADD or ADHD. On top of that, yesterday my sister-in-law was diagnosed by a psychiatrist as being bipolar (she's only 17). I honestly wonder if my mother-in-law didn't tell the psychiatrist what she needed to hear in order to get that diagnosis...

Is it just me, or is it extremely coincidental that none of the 3 of them are blood-related but all have behavioral issues that "require" medication?

I have felt for a long time that my husband's family has become overly dependent on medication- Like they use it as a crutch and a way to excuse their irresponsible behaviors. I always thought medication for behavioral / mental issues was supposed to be a temporary fix, but they have been on Rx's for years.

My husband does not take his meds anymore and functions very well in society. It just makes me wonder...

What are your thoughts on the issue?

Biz1985

Asked by Biz1985 at 11:04 AM on Sep. 24, 2010 in Health

• Sounds JUST like my dh family. They all have personality disorders...bi-polar..schizophrenic, not sure if any of them are add or adhd.

I think my mil and his aunt use it as a way of not having to work. They are both on disability but seem normal and fine to me! Can do anything else in life they wanna do, but not work!!! My MIL is lazy I will say that.

My dh is fine...I hope! lol He has never had any issues or disorders, never been on meds....unless you count being super stubborn as a disorder! haha

All of his fam have been on meds...I dont keep up with if they are still on them or not. As long as they leave me alone I am fine with whatever they do.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 11:14 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• These are chronic psychiatric conditions that may require lifelong medications. Bipolar disorder almost always does require lifelong medication. You don't get to judge who needs and who doesn't need medication. Mental illness happens to people that aren't related. People are diagnosed with bipolar disorder without their mother tricking a psychiatrist. It is typical that people in the family don't understand mental illness and yet pass judgements about medications and other issues.  

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:18 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I wouldn't Medicare unless it was absolutely necessary
    redrose36

Answer by redrose36 at 11:19 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• "I always thought medication for behavioral / mental issues was supposed to be a temporary fix, but they have been on Rx's for years."

Medication for behavioral/mental issues is NOT a temporary fix because most of the time the underlying condition (bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, even ADHD) is a LIFELONG condition. It's not like a headache that you take something for it and it just goes away. It is irresponsible and can even be dangerous, depending on the condition, for a person to go off of these meds.

That being said, just because they aren't blood relatives, I wouldn't assume the family is a bunch of addicts. And as far as the SIL goes, she is old enough that the psychiatrist would take her comments, concerns, and complaints into consideration along with family members. I highly doubt it was all based on what mom alone said.
    ruthie11617

Answer by ruthie11617 at 11:36 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I get it, Gailllllllll, that you're not too fond of me.

Are you a psychiatrist? Counselor? I'm genuinely asking.

All I'm saying, is that I find it incredibly interesting that everyone in the family needs medication, and none of them are blood-related. It just seems rather circumstantial to me. I completely understand the need for medicating legitimate mental illness.
    Biz1985

Comment by Biz1985 (original poster) at 11:38 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Yeah, I knew bipolar needs lifelong meds.

I guess I was referring to the ADD / ADHD meds as being a temporary fix. Is that wrong too, though? I just feel like everytime the family hiccups, they are running to a psycho-analysis to see why they hiccuped the way they did and if there's a pill to pop to fix it...
    Biz1985

Comment by Biz1985 (original poster) at 11:41 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• ADD/ADHD is a lifelong condition, just like bipolar disorder. And just because your husband might be able to function without his meds, that doesn't mean that everyone can. Some people do need medication.
    ruthie11617

Answer by ruthie11617 at 5:32 PM on Sep. 24, 2010