5 Year old Sick - Fever 4th or 5th day

My 5 year old has been sick and progressivly getting worse. First it was just a mild fever and runny nose. Yesterday he developed a bad cough and his fever got higher. Before I gave him tylenol he is very tired and just lays there. After I gave him the medicine though he got up walked around and was a chatty cathy. He still felt a little warm but the fever had gone down a lot.

My question is how many days with a fever should I wait before taking him to see his doctor. Mind you today is Friday and if he doesn't go in today, he'd probably have to wait till Monday. (They are not open yet otherwise I would have already called and asked a nurse)

Thanks

SarahNKnapp

Asked by SarahNKnapp at 11:21 AM on Sep. 24, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I agre with MOMPAM..........and alternate tylenol and motrin every 4-6 hours. To help break the fever........a constant fever is not good!

Also.. a tepid bath is also good for helping bring down a temperature....make the water lukewarm..a little warmer is ok.....but use a cup and wet him from head to toe....sitting in the tub letting the water fill up to his waist a bit.........it will help cool him down.

Just dont make the bath water too too warm......wait 20 minutes and check his temp........it should break.

But remember about alternating the meds....tylenol and motrin......say at noon you give him motrin....wait 4-6 hours and give him the tylenol.....then later the motrin.

Good luck! Hope your lil man gets to feeling better!..
    LilyPondOasis

Answer by LilyPondOasis at 11:34 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Go today. It could be strep. He should be checked.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:22 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• it's probably just a virus but i would take him. better safe than sorry.
    rfurlongg

Answer by rfurlongg at 12:39 PM on Sep. 24, 2010