my baby is having problems drinking from the breast i make lots of milk but that seems to buther her and she starts getting really cranky and crying alot because she wants it i dont know if she might have reflux it seens like if she is having problem digesting it.help

SHYMILLENIUM

Asked by SHYMILLENIUM at 11:30 AM on Sep. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• could you have overactive letdown?
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 11:30 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• whats that?
    SHYMILLENIUM

Comment by SHYMILLENIUM (original poster) at 11:32 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Peanut is right, it sounds like OAL to me. Try popping her off for your let down and see if that helps things out. You can also feed her in an upright position, holding her against your tummy. If you're making TOO much milk (you can tell because your milk will still be watery-looking at the end of a feeding instead of the thicker, creamy milk) you can also block feed, which means feeding from teh same breast for a set number of hours. Start with 3 hours and work your way up until a little at a time until you see a decrease in your supply. Watch diaper counts as you do that, though!

If that's not the problem the next step is eliminating dairy. Some babies can't handle it.

Good luck, mamma... been there!
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:34 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• How old is she? There are so many problems with a newborn. They all seem to work themselves out. Don't get upset or pull your hair out. Calm down, problems are normal in the beginning. Stick with it. I used to pump before I fed my son. My boobs would be too full and rock hard. This helped me. Good luck!!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:35 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• The only thing I can think of to suggest is pumping. I hope everything works out for you and sorry I couldn't be of much help. Do you have a lactation consultant you can talk to? I think they have a hotline you can call to talk to a professional. Good luck! :)
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 11:48 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Hand express (google for instructions) until your milk has let down. Then latch your baby on and feed one breast only a feeding. Each feeding use the other breast. No pumping, bottles, pacifiers, or formula. You want to get your supply established and you don't want anything to mess up the supply and demand nature of breastfeeding. If you had an epidural breasts become swollen for days after because of all the IV fluids you had had. Your milk is perfect for your baby. Some babies that overeat can fuss, that doesn't mean there is something wrong with their digestion or they have reflux.

http://www.kellymom.com/ is a great web site.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:58 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• if it is that bad i would just pump and feed her from a bottle
    alaina_20

Answer by alaina_20 at 3:11 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• My baby girl use to do that. My letdown was alot, and it just was too much and too fast for her to drink and either she'd choke or she'd let it go and then try it again and it would be better. Try latching her on to allow letdown to start, then take it out of her mouth, have a tissue, towel or cup and let whatever is coming out, out and then once it is almost done latch her back on. Keep doing that till it seems okay. I say don't give up on breastfeeding, it can be very difficult but the bond is amazing. Is she spitting up, getting fussy enough to be crying for hours, a high-pitched scream/cry? My baby girl who is 5 months, has acid reflux is on medication. So if you think it is acid reflux, ask your peditritian, and if she/he says its not, go to a specialist. Because my Pedi said it wasn't, no chance. But I asked to be refurred to a specialist and he said she does and now she has been a whole new baby since. PM me 4 more help
    ZammiesMommy

Answer by ZammiesMommy at 4:55 PM on Sep. 24, 2010