What should I do?

Yesterday I got a call from my daughter's principal saying she got caught cheating on a math test it was multiplication .She is in the 4th grade and this is the 1st time she has ever,ever done anything like this.She is an a/b honor roll student for 3 semesters last and on the 4th it was all A's; So for her 1st semester this year r a/b's. Idk if she cheated cause she just did not know how to do it she told me some were very hard like12x24..She did study with the sheet she brought home & I also helped her study and she got them all right .The sheet she brought home went to 12x12. What would u guys do for a punishment @ home?

Angel267

Asked by Angel267 at 11:32 AM on Sep. 24, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

Level 1 (-8 Credits)
  • i would make her study her mutiplication tables everynight for a week even the weekends for atleast 30 mins
    BellaDiamond

Answer by BellaDiamond at 11:34 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Perhaps writing out her times tables as many times as you feel appropriate, and writing a note of apology to her teacher to hold her accountable.
    thismamacooks

Answer by thismamacooks at 11:35 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I would ground her and make a part of her punishment learning her multiplication tables up to the 12 x24 so that she won't be tempted to cheat in the future. Show her easier ways to try and remember them. Like 12x24 is the same as 12x12=144 +144=288
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:36 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I also like the idea of the note of apology.
    coala

• try to explain WHY cheating is bad....make her want to be the kind of person that doesnt cheat/steal/lie etc...and let her know that she doesnt have to cheat to make you proud....you would be just as proud and would not be mad if she chose to get the answer wrong and possibly a lower grade....cheating is not necessary....its ok to make mistakes because you learn from them
    mamagee1218

Answer by mamagee1218 at 11:48 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I had a college professor who called cheating: "Teamwork."
    lol

Ok, don't tell your daughter that... I think you are right for creating a consequence for her actions. I think extra studying on the times tables and the apology letter are fantastic ideas. I can't think of anything better. Just make sure she understands WHY cheating is against the rules.
    Biz1985

Answer by Biz1985 at 11:48 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• So far I took the t.v away from her @ night for 2 weeks
    Angel267

Comment by Angel267 (original poster) at 11:55 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I would talk to her about cheating and why its bad, and then I would ask the teacher to seperate her from the other children in class during tests for a few weeks. She'll get the idea, the embarassment alone should have an impact, it may only take a couple times.
    I don't think I'd punish my kids at home, but I would ask for a punishment school I think that would have more impact.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 1:15 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I would take away two of her favorite things. Then she would spend a extra 30 minutes each night doing math.
    SueM48415

Answer by SueM48415 at 2:40 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Writing an apology to the teacher seems appropriate but spending more time on the math would fit the punishment. So, having that extra time away from TV would help.   Here is a website for some extra practice.  GL

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 7:49 PM on Sep. 24, 2010