Tried to walk my dogs...

They just pull me in all directions sniffing everything in sight. I wonder how other people get their dogs to walk nicely?

I walked them just a few minutes ago and I almost fell, slipped in water and got really angry so I had to bring them back home again. I figure taking them out and giving them a chance for a walk and bringing them home each time they start to pull, should show them, right?

Am I mean to wish these dogs would just get a new home?

tryin2BGOOD

Asked by tryin2BGOOD at 11:36 AM on Sep. 24, 2010 in Pets

• I never had this problem. I got puppies and trained them to walk right from the start.

If they pulled they would sit until they were calm and we would walk again. If they saw something they wanted but shuldn't have i would say leave it.

It takes patience but they will get it
    Smiley001

Answer by Smiley001 at 11:42 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• You start by walking one at a time til they are used to walking and not pulling You have to give them a short leash.....keep the close to you and when they start pulling - pull back. Then get a Y junction to walk the both of them on one leash together so you aren't being pulled in different directions instead you have one leash to keep under control.
    It takes time and patience.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 11:43 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• The last dog i trained was a pit and i tripped on the sidewalk and fell let go of the leash. I was like crap but once he noticed i fell he came back to me and licked my face....which was only a few seconds later.
    Smiley001

Answer by Smiley001 at 11:44 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• You might want to watch a few clips of the Dog Whisperer......from the national geographic channel.Or Dog towns clips at www.hulu.com ( My fave site! )

Getting them used to the leash and not pulling are the biggest complaints when walking.

You'd have to try this one dog at a time. But get small treats...and while they are on the leash, have them sit. reward them and say the good boy/ good girl! Then stay......and when you walk...have the same technique. Walk with them and soon as they PULL.. say" ____ Sit." Good boy/girl!!!!!! And reward them.

Soon they wont be pulling as much ( I HOPE) but thats about how they get them used to it. On the clips from the show DOG TOWN....they used positive reinforcement on a few like that to stop them from pulling...when walking.....GOOD LUCK!

LilyPondOasis

Answer by LilyPondOasis at 11:45 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Yes,u r wrong to wish the dogs had a new home. U need to relax and remember they r family members too. Just take more time with them one at a time. It will work out. I have three and I was able to train them all. I am a dog trainer so I know,that no matter what the breed it will work.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 11:49 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Why are you expecting untrained dogs to not pull you? Sign your dogs up for training with a professional trainer in your area. You'll learn how to teach them to walk and basic obedience.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 11:51 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• No, just bringing them back home whenever they start pulling will NOT "teach them". Dogs don't understand that concept. You need to start by taking out one at a time, until they're both leash trained. Bring little treats, and make them sit as soon as they start pulling, then reward them. Make sure to be consistent. While you're walking, hold up a treat so they can see it, and keep repeating "heel, heel" (or whatever command you want to use). Keep their focus on YOU, not on their surroundings.

If you really don't know what to do, I'd suggest taking them to an obedience class (again, probably one at a time at first).

These dogs haven't been trained, they don't know what you want from them, and just pulling on their leash is not going to accomplish anything, other than you being frustrated and them not getting to go on walks.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 12:28 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Pulling on a dog's leash will just make them pull harder.. it's a resistance thing. Look into leash training, or getting a gentle leader head collar type of thing. Expecting a dog, let alone more then one, to NOT pull while on a leash with no training is wrong. Do not take more then one at a time until they can walk beside you, loose leash and obeying commands. THEN you can start to take more then one at a time.

HeatherReneeB

Answer by HeatherReneeB at 5:33 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• It's called OBEDIENCE TRAINING....
    ParklaneMom

Answer by ParklaneMom at 4:25 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• either go out and buy a Gentle Leader or use your leash choke chain style (like a slip knot) - when the dog pulls, it tightens around their neck. only walk one dog at a time, and once your more dominant dog will walk next to you without pulling, you can try taking them out together again! hopefully the dominant one will show the other dog how it's done :)
    Katie T.

Answer by Katie T. at 1:46 AM on Oct. 1, 2010