Do you think this is true?

I just heard that in early labor if you relax during the contractions then you will progress quicker. The lady I was talking to said that if you visualize yourself dilating that it will happen quicker and easier....do you think this is true? I've tried to look it up on the internet ( I LOVE me some google LOL) but can't find anything. If you have some good reading references please share! Thank you!

I'm pretty sure I am in early labor but I refuse to go to the doctor until I am in active, hard labor...I hate waiting and having the nurses check you every hour...its exhausting and almost humiliating to me....

MommieIsSexay

Asked by MommieIsSexay at 11:56 AM on Sep. 24, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I've never heard of that but if my daughter came any quicker I wouldn't have gotten an epidural
    Smiley001

Answer by Smiley001 at 11:58 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I haven't heard of it, but what I have heard is "mind over matter," meaning if you concentrate and train yourself hard enough you can manipulate your body to do whatever you want...

Who knows.. Haha.
    Biz1985

Answer by Biz1985 at 12:04 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I can tell you that an epidural is just about the most overrated worst thing you can do if you want to deliver vaginally. They slow up labor and make it a lot of times impossible to push because you are nub. Its more risky than drs let on too. I know a girl that took them to the cleaners because they numbed her from the waist up instead of the wast down and she couldn't speak during labor and felt all the pain and her mom thought she was having a seizure it was so bad. I also have known some to have headaches for years after having one. They can paralyze you as well. They increase likelihood of a c-sec. You get really thirsty afterwards and shakey and cold and it is just not good. I have nothing whatsoever good to say about them, and I'm related to a RN who works in a big hospital as a labor and delivery nurse. cont.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:05 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I actually waited with my second child until contractions were 1 min apart. The hospial was like 10 mins away and there was 0 traffic because it was like 1 am on a Sunday morning. When I got there they said I was 2-3 cm. I spent the next 6 hours there in labor and they flew by way fast. I didn't accept any drugs, though they tried their hardest to make me. See drs like to try and force pain meds, especially epidurals becausethen they know they contribute to c-sec and if you've had an epidural then you're pretty much set for them to whisk away to the o.r. They make about double for a c-sec. I just breathed through contractions and squeezed the life out of dh's hand. It also helped that the dr was sleeping through the labor up until I was 10 cm. It was just me and dh pretty much going through contractions. The nurses left us alone. It really helped me to relax.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:10 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I made sure that the area from my shoulder to my knees was relaxed. I gripped the things in my hands and curled my toes though. I Forced my self to relax my body and my labor was 7 hours. I had no pain meds. I told my self I could do it and I didn't need any..I repeated that to myself over and over. If you tense up, so will your body and cervix.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:11 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I'm in agreement w/ Anon. I had an epidural with baby 1 and 2 and it was terrible! With both the epidural wore off after a few hours AND it TOTALLY slowed down my labor! I'm trying to make this last labor go smoothly...I know she will be here early anyway and I don't want drugs to interfere with her lungs or breathing. I'm just trying to figure out anything I can do to make early labor go easily and quickly WITHOUT medical intervention until absolutely needed.
    MommieIsSexay

Comment by MommieIsSexay (original poster) at 12:15 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• HA! RELAX DURING LABOR! HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!

When I was in labor all I could think abotu was how I was hurting and if that stupid nurse didn't get her butt in the room with some pain meds I was gonna somehow get out of the bed, chase her down, poke all the needles she had poked into me... into HEr and find the pain meds myself.

I think everyone dilates and progresses att heir own rate. Maybe this psycho lady you are talking about has s severely high threshold for pain, I don't know. But maybe it worked for her.... although I wouldn't bank o it working for you.

Good luck!
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 12:18 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I had my first child at age 17. I was in hard induced labor for 18 hours. The nurses came in and gave me many tips and hints and one repeated often was dont fight the contraction! dont tense up, it makes them hurt more, maybe just squeezing the bed rail and focus your tensing into your hand, Dont bare down first it can be harmful and it wont make you dialate and quicker, relaxation and some say meditation does help with labor I dont know if it progresses if taster or if it simply makes the process bareable therefore it doesnt seem to be taking as long cause we all know when your in pain 5 minutes feel like 2 hours. Hope this helps
    MeGirl04049

Answer by MeGirl04049 at 12:21 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• "See drs like to try and force pain meds, especially epidurals becausethen they know they contribute to c-sec and if you've had an epidural then you're pretty much set for them to whisk away to the o.r. They make about double for a c-sec. "

Complete and utter BS!

My sis has gotten THREE epidurals and hasn't had her FIRST c-section! I know of plenty of people who had epidurals and everything went fine. Yes, some people do have bad reactions.... but you people drink milk every day and guess what? I have bad reactions to it! OH NO! EVERYONE SHOULD BAN MILK FROM THEIR HOMES!

OVER REACTION if I do say so myself.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 12:22 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I had great luck with my epidural with my DS! I was dialated to a 6 when i got it and it lasted the whole time and i still progressed really fast like planned... even being my 1st child labor was only 6 hrs and 11 min long....
    TatymMommi

Answer by TatymMommi at 1:26 PM on Sep. 24, 2010