does it make you mad when ppl get huge tax refunds each year and they barely work ?

i know ppl that have lots of kids, live inHUd housing, get food stamps and only one parent works because they dont want to loose these and they know they get liek a $5,000 check each tax tiem. sorry but it upsets me that they get hand out when we work our but off and dont get any help and our lucky to get $1,000 back. i don understand how those that dont pay taxes end up with a lot of money in there pocket each year.

hotmama541

Asked by hotmama541 at 7:28 PM on Oct. 20, 2008 in Money & Work

• sorry about the miss spelled words- hard to type while holding baby, lol!!
    hotmama541

Answer by hotmama541 at 7:29 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• I didn't pay hardly anything when I worked PT-I paid more into medicare and state than fed...sometimes nothing from fed was even taken out and I actually brought down our return...if we didn't file jointly my husb would've gotten waay more back. But I do believe that's happening.
    Apr1l

Answer by Apr1l at 7:34 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• wouldn't know..we've had to pay in MORE for the last 5 yrs. Work your butt off your whole life so you can be taxed to death.
    Anonymous

• Well, I don't know what you're doing but, we've gotten money back the past 3 years, and it's always been above $3000.00. My husband works full time, 60 hours a week. He makes decent pay, we are NOT on benefits from the state. We work hard and still get money back each year.
    Anonymous

• My SO works a fulltime job...I'm a SAHM and with his income and claiming the kids he gets well over $7,000 from State and Federal every year. We have 2 kids, we aren't on any government assistance. It really depends also on how much they are taking out. They take alot out of each of his checks but i prefer that so we get a big refund every February. When you file are you utilizing all the deductables you can?
    Mommyof2boys34

Answer by Mommyof2boys34 at 7:55 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• We use to barely get 800 back. We made around 60K a year with no home that we owned and 1 child. No deductions for childcare. Nothing. We were in a higher tax bracket with no deductions. Now we are still in a higher tax bracket making around 75K a year but we own a home and have 2 children. We got about $1400 back last year, but I also claim 4 exemptions and dh claims 3 so that they don't take as much out of our checks. I don't want a high tax refund. It's better to get more on your paychecks than in a interest free loan to the government. Think about it. If you get a 7000 tax refund, that is almost $600 a month TO MUCH they are taking from your check. Would you rather have $600 extra a month or give the government a loan that they pay you no interest on? I'll take the extra on my check.
    Anonymous

• I think the Earned Income Credit is a sham. How can someone pay in $500 a year, but get a return of $5,000?!?!?!?!

At least they could call it the Unearned Income Credit.

I had a neighbor who together she and her husband worked a total of 6 months one year and used food stamps, the food bank, etc..... guess what they spent their tax return of almost $6K on... the kids... no. the house... no. the bills....no How about a big screen tv?!?!?! Blew my ever lovin mind!
    ThatTXMom

Answer by ThatTXMom at 11:58 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• No, it doesn't bother me one bit. I am one of those getting over $5,000.00 back! We also get foodstamps, and medicaid for the kids. It's not because we want to as you stated it it's because we have no choice right now. Even when we both worked we still got a nice chunk of change. For you say what you did about everyone with their having a lot of kids and being assistance and not wanting to work is not the case for everyone. You should judge what you obviously don't know!
    Anonymous

• My husband works full time as a security guard, we have 2 children, one of which is disabled. He has Spina bifida. We do get Medicaid and SSI for him...but I choose not to work because I would rather make sure my children are well taken care of. Last year we got $7400 back and this year, we are getting $7804. I don't understand why people bash people like my family that get a large refund. It's not like we are both sitting at home on our butts, while the government supports us. We pay taxes, but because we qualify for EIC, (even though my husband does work) we get a large refund. Trust me, I would much rather make 60k a year and get no tax return, but times are tough right now.
    Anonymous