What am I suppose to do?

My 16 yo son tends to ignore everything I say. Thispast week he was gone 4 days andnot where I was told he was going. Come to find out he was at his gf house the whole time. Now here it is anothr week gone by and he has been gone 2 days (not with her, I know for sure he is with the person he was suppose to be with thelast week.) No matter what I do he back talks, smokes, takes off when he pleases...what can I do? Now my 15 yo boy who use to never do anything wrong is starting to act just likehis big brother.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:32 PM on Oct. 20, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• Time for some tough love and now. If he is missing for days at a time at his age I would report him as a run away and let the law take care of him...maybe that would scare him straight
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 7:37 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• I can not do that! I did that once adn they took both of my kids away from me until they and I all had a phyc evaluation done to prove that there was no type of domestic violence in the home (I was engaged to a hispanic and the jusge is very racial) so that darn near tore us apart and I can not go through that again!
    smota

Answer by smota at 7:39 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• Tap that ass. U are the parent not the friend
    Zarviemom19

Answer by Zarviemom19 at 7:40 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• Boot camp
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 7:43 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• I hate to say this but yes get the law! I was like this at his age and my mom did it and had me put in Juvenile Hall. Or take away his priveleges, make him stay in his room except for eating and bathroom and school( to solve the problem of him leaving school contact the teachers and have them call you and notify you when he's not there)
    SebsMom29

Answer by SebsMom29 at 7:47 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• omg none of those answers! Do you want her kids to hate her? Tough love is NOT the way.
    And maybe if you WERE the friend a little more, they wouldnt be doing this!

Ever though you just are not paying enough attention. Kids act up for attention and because they may not feel open with you. Where ever he is going cant be too bad seeing as he does come home. Ask him say hey where are you going? are you going to come home if not please let me know so I dont worry.
    maybe parents should get over this "tough love" thing and BE A FRIEND
    SexxyMomma26

Answer by SexxyMomma26 at 7:49 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• Is it your car that he is taking off in? If he is using your car to take off and do bad things, take his car. Take his cell phone, his TV out of his room, etc, any luxuries that he has. How is he buying the cigarettes? Just take his car, phone, money and privileges away.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 7:50 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• cont: And NO dont get the law into this! How stupid would that be. You are going to push those kids even farther way from you. That would be the LAST thing to do!

My god, doesnt no one get this?
    Once you get the law into there is no going back you cant just say you were kidding
    SexxyMomma26

Answer by SexxyMomma26 at 7:51 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• THis did not happen over night. It will take time. Boot camp...Young Marines....my son hated me for a few weeks, but HE KNOWS I"M FOR HIM not against him. I make him think about the future...Take all his things away.. Strip his room. My son is starting to earn one thing at a time back :) BELIEVE me it works. Be consistant!! Read "Have a new kid by Friday" by Dr. Leman.
    JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 8:07 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• BOOK "Have a new kid by Friday" Bestselling author and psychologist Dr. Kevin Leman is here to help. Have a New Kid by Friday shows parents how to reverse negative behavior in their children--fast! With his signature wit and encouragement, Dr. Leman offers hope and real, practical, doable strategies for regaining control and becoming the parents they always wanted to be. . If you don't believe that you, as a parent, are to be in healthy authority over your child, put this book down right now and buy another.… But I've got a Midas muffler guarantee for you. If you stick to the simple strategies in this book--strategies that any parent can carry out--you'll have a new kid by Friday. You can have a great kid, and you can be a great parent. Your relationship with your child can change in just one week.
    JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 8:33 PM on Oct. 20, 2008