Second Birthday Party W/ Adults - What would you serve?

My Son just turned two yesterday and tomorrow (Saturday) we're having his second birthday party. We've invited family and friends to come celebrate. Most of the guests will be adults, but there will be a few children. We're having roughly 20 people give or take. My mom and have had menu after menu written out, but we keep changing our mind. She/My Dad, DH/I are all on a tight budget, so we're looking for simple recipes to serve. We already have a few ideas, but are really looking for more. We are trying to make it a light lunch, so keep that in mind.

What would you serve?

Right now we have down .. Apple Salad with Pears, Grapes, and Whipped topping. Pigs in a Blanket, and Baked Shells and Cheese.

Thanks, Ladies!

JazzlikeMraz

Asked by JazzlikeMraz at 12:00 PM on Sep. 24, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I think the menu you have planned sounds wonderful. The fruit and the pigs in a blanket will be a hit for the kids; the fruit and the baked shells will be a hit with the adults. You might add a green salad and maybe some chips w/ dip for munching while you are getting the rest of the food ready. Good luck and have lots of fun!
    RoostersMom4

Answer by RoostersMom4 at 12:09 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Of course if you do a BBQ you'd prob want to grill 'em today and warm them in the oven tomorrow. Saves time and you can actually enjoy the party instead of being a slave to the grill. :)
    MamaLisa1976

Answer by MamaLisa1976 at 12:04 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• We LOVE to do sweet and sour meatballs and little sandwhiches for birthdays. They are cheap, easy and finger food! Also, clean up is simple!!!
    FatGirl239

Answer by FatGirl239 at 12:02 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• We just had a big BBQ and we had pork steaks (we're from STL - I hear pork steaks are scarecely found elsewhere in the US) and hot dogs for the kiddos. Some aunts/uncles brought a side & I made the cake. It was a good time! :) I got bubbles for the kids as a "thank you" for coming.
    MamaLisa1976

Answer by MamaLisa1976 at 12:02 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I usually do, hamburgers, hotdogs, or make a brisket with dinner rolls. Anything pasta would be good.
    Iluvmy5

Answer by Iluvmy5 at 12:05 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Thanks Everyone! Wonderful Ideas! It's all making me hungry! haha
    JazzlikeMraz

Comment by JazzlikeMraz (original poster) at 12:32 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• that menu sounds good but since you are on a budget I would get cheap items like chicken is always the cheapest meat so I always serve chicken because you can get large amounts of chicken and it wont kill your pockets, and rice too because you can get a big bag of rice and it doesnt cost that much
    toybar02

Answer by toybar02 at 3:35 AM on Sep. 27, 2010