any ideas how to get rid of fleas??

We fostered a kitten for a rescue group, he had fleas now my cat has them. I dont want to use harmfull chemicals on him, anyone have any suggestions what works to kill/get rid of fleas?

giraffegrl1980

Asked by giraffegrl1980 at 12:03 PM on Sep. 24, 2010 in Pets

• I bought some special kitty shampoo at the vet's offce that was natural. It turned her blue though temporarily lol until it was rinsed. If you have carpet then sprinkle Borax all over it and let it sit there like all day while you are gone and the vacuum. I never saw another flea after that!!!! We had professional come out and spray for fleas and it didn't help, nor did shampooing the carpet but Borax worked and it only cost me $3 at Target!!!!
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 12:23 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Hmmm... I was gonna say Frontline -works great on our dog, and we live kind of in a rural area so ticks & fleas are prominent.
    MamaLisa1976

Answer by MamaLisa1976 at 12:05 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• get frontline for your cat. Don't use hartz from the store it's not good for animals.

You can get the spray to kill fleas in the house but i just swept the floor a few times a day. it worked better then the sprays
    Smiley001

Answer by Smiley001 at 12:05 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I have a friend that believes in all natural for everything. For her dog she uses Citronella oil for fleas. I do not know if this kills them or just repels them. As far as the infestation in your house, I am not sure what natural product you could use. Perhaps check with a health food store, or pet store for advice.
    thismamacooks

Answer by thismamacooks at 12:06 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Dawn Dishwashing soap does a great job.
    SarahNKnapp

Answer by SarahNKnapp at 12:09 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I bought some advantage online! petsmart has a 6 months supply for $64. My cat's constant scratching stopped within minutes. Fleas love this climate so it's not just my cat to blame! They simply take a ride on my shoes and check in. I vacuum almost daily and pour about 1 Tbs of borax in my vacuum. Borax will suffocate any fleas that come into contact with it, plus it is a natural cleaner.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 12:10 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• My vet told me that if I didn't want to use Frontline (which I do) that I could do the job by bathing them with Dawn dish liquid once every few days. As far as treating the house, there's quite a few natural remedies you can use. Mine was not a major flea infestation, so the vet just recommended vacuuming the house daily, sweep all the hardwood floors, wash the pets bedding in HOT water, vacuum off couches daily, pretty much anywhere where they would lay eggs. Do this for a month and it should take care of them. You can also get flea traps which I think are awesome but I didn't have to even buy them after vacuuming frequently. My vet actually said unless your flea infestation in your house is just horrible, do NOT bomb the house because of the toxic chemicals. Here's a link for the flea traps:

http://www.amazon.com/Victor-M230-Ultimate-Flea-Trap/dp/B000668Z96/ref=sr_1_1?s=gateway&ie=UTF8&qid=1285344895&sr=8-1
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 12:15 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• You ladies are the best!!! Thank you so much for the great advice!
    giraffegrl1980

Comment by giraffegrl1980 (original poster) at 12:13 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Frontline. Works immediately..can get for either cats or dogs
    jaylyndenae

Answer by jaylyndenae at 12:16 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I've experimented with dawn and it does drown them, but it's not that effective. you put some water in a small bowl, mix it with some dawn and place it overnight in an area where you see fleas most. You might see one or 2 dead fleas. Kinda cool lol. But it wont wipe out the population in your home.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 12:16 PM on Sep. 24, 2010