How do you motivate a 12 year old to take a shower?

She is the third child (6 in house + 1 bathroom + extra shower in finished basement) she plays sports, very active in school but fights with her older sisters about taking a shower? Help!!!!

kamore

Asked by kamore at 12:04 PM on Sep. 24, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• I had/have this same problem with my almost 13 yo DS!! When he starts getting so he doesnt do it, I start treating him like a four y.o!! I will follow him to his room to get his clean clothes/ pj's then I follow him to the bathroom ( I stand outside the door til he is in the shower, he is 13) then I sit on the toilet and talk to him through the shower curtain and ask is your hair soapy? are you scrubbing behind your ears? did you rince your hair good, have you washed between your toes? etc. etc. after a few days of this he tends to straighten up for a while If you do this to her (and dont make it fun talk just demands) she will get annoyed with it and hopefully start doing it before you can follow her in. I hope this helps
    MeGirl04049

Answer by MeGirl04049 at 12:12 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• You are the boss and make it a rule everyone gets a bath everyday, no excuses...

Answer by older at 1:57 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Tell her to shower and punish her like the other mommies suggested.
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 12:17 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• My DD has to shower every other night. She knows its required period.
    bjane01

Answer by bjane01 at 8:05 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Tell her she stinks and make her take a shower!!
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 12:07 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• take her ipod away
    or any electronic device
    or anything she values
    what is HER currency
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 12:08 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• wow. Okay I would take away everything that is near and dear to her. That's just not acceptable, its poor hygiene.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 12:19 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I tell my kids to take a shower, and then remind them that they should be responsible for themselves. (They are 11 & 13). I don't take "no" for an answer.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:20 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Showering is required, not optional. Motivation? Tell her "do it now".
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 4:11 PM on Sep. 26, 2010

• She doesn't WANT to take a shower? Hmmm. I was never that active - I'm pretty athletically challenged, but I remember my dad quietly telling me around that age that he could smell my pits. (ew). Hormones are building and I guess BO stinks more around that age. I don't know what else to say - I feel like if you flat out tell her she stinks it will hurt her feelings... maybe you can delicately take her aside like my dad did me and talk with her.
    MamaLisa1976

Answer by MamaLisa1976 at 12:08 PM on Sep. 24, 2010