Been having nightmares....

So 11 days ago I gave birth to a beautiful baby boy. He was delivered by c-section and as soon as he came out they had to do cpr on him for 3 minutes. He was having respiratory issues so he was monitored in the nursery for 24 hours. He is home with us now, but I've been having these nightmares to where I'm reliving the surgery, only my fiancée comes to me and tells me that we lost our son. I dont know why it's bothering me so much, but it is. It shouldn't be though should it? Since he is alive and home with us. I don't know what's wrong with me....

Becca1189

Asked by Becca1189 at 12:13 PM on Sep. 24, 2010 in Health

• that is definitely from the traumatic experience you had at the hospital, and it is normal for your mind to go over stressful events as a way of coping with your emotions. I'm 35 weeks pregnant and i have been having some pretty terrible nightmares myself. I dream about botched c-sections, giving birth by myself, losing the baby, and the other night i dreamed that my fiance was stabbed 9 times in the chest. I know that it is my anxiety coming through. That my worries about dying, losing our daughter, or losing my fiance are manifesting in weird funky dreams. I find it is best just to write them down so they are not so heavy on my mind, and then later i can go over them and take my time coping.
    Oobersezzy

Answer by Oobersezzy at 1:53 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I think what your doing is reliving a stressful situation. Post traumatic stress situation. Seems normal to me. However horrifying as it is you may need to find a way to talk about this. Perhaps to other mothers, like go get your hair done. It is helpful to be around a group who may or may not be able to relate to what your dealing with. Men are not always the most enlightened creatures on the planet. So try a breast feeding group or a new mom's group. Sometimes all it takes is opening up.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 12:35 PM on Sep. 24, 2010