Are we building a wall around our borders because we do not educate our kids?

This is what I am thinking, our middle of the road kids is who were protecting. Our kids who are not going to further their education because they don't want to/can't afford to/dislike learning/ so they go out in to the job market.
So they need the grunt work, the low level jobs that our Mexican workers are taking.
Were building a wall to protect our kids from loosing their future jobs.
We need to get these kids who are smart enough to learn jobs out in to the work force. We need to educate those kids in a way that they can learn something new and interesting. So they can be our next workforce. There are billions of kid falling threw the cracks.
So were basically building a wall b/c we can not educate our children. We need to change our education system to catch those kids and get them trained and educated so they can learn what they need to learn.
HOw do you feel about this? Do you see this?

mmmegan38

Asked by mmmegan38 at 12:24 PM on Sep. 24, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Our education system certainly could use some change for the better. I've known MANY kids who were good students and really wanted to go to college...but were unable to afford the tuition, and financial aide is only available if you're parents made under a certain amount the previous year so that isn't an option for a lot of them. There are other's who try to get loans but cannot because they, being students, have no credit rating and often their parents are not able to co-sign. If we want our children to have more opportunities for education beyond high school, we need to make college a whole lot more affordable. These days with so many out of work and companies not hiring, I'm sure a lot of kids feel they are beat before they even start.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 7:28 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• What? What does building a fence(actually we are not building a fence since Obama stopped the money for it) have to do with educating our kids? I read your post twice and just don't see any sense in it.

***

^^^ THIS!!!

The onus on educating YOUR kids is on you!! Teachers can only do so much in a 7 hour day....PARENTS need to make sure their children are doign their homework, studying for tests, arranging for tutors if needed, and making sure they are behaving well!! When children are unsuccessful at life, I never point the finger of blame at the teachers.

Both of my children have special needs, and I REFUSE to accept that their futures are limited to "menial labor!" They can and WILL earn college degrees and then some!! They WILL have independent and productive lives some day. I will never use their diagnosis' as a "crutch." That's just lame.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:14 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• ACTUALLY... Mexicans have NOT been coming in for entry level jobs for quite a while...they have been LEAVING the US in droves because there is no work for them either.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:52 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

The way small businesses are going out of business and bigger businesses are not hiring these days is going to make an upper education even more important. There is nothing wrong with taking entry level jobs as you put it for things like extra money, kids in school or just to get some experience but we cannot accept that as a job to raise a family on. You can't go out and "learn" a trade if no one is willing to hire. Face it, the big majority of employers want college and experience, even now in a recession. We could have more high school trade programs so kids can get some experience while still in school and can get degrees or certificates in a trade school or Jr College. That would be worth the money.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 2:12 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• What is good is an education when the parents are raising their kids to feel as if the world owes them something? I have encountered plenty of "educated" people that don't succeed because they don't feel they have to WORK for it.

I kind of agree with some of what Sabrina is saying. Right now we have way to many people with degrees that can't find a job, let alone one they went to school for. Certain industries have trouble finding workers because the work/pay has been demonized by the class warfare going on. There are lots of career opportunities..good paying ones in blue collar fields too!
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 2:47 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I can understand what you're thinking. However I still think that if someone CHOOSES not to seek further education it's totally up to them. I see frankly no reason for further schooling for the majority of fields. If anything I think we are pushing unnecessary education on people because our society seems to believe it's needed. For example - Restaurant management takes up to 4 years of extra schooling - OR you can simply work your way up in as little as 2 years and have the same - IMO Better - knowledge about what you're doing... So what's the point of the extra schooling? MONEY! Obviously, if you want to be a doctor you need to go to school, but the average person can easily work their way up to where they want to be rather than pay for extra schooling... Either way, it's up to that person, and if anything the lack of McDonalds jobs should be a point to push our children to go after their dreams, not hold them back.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:41 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Meriana, I see your point, but I don't think that college costs are going down anytime soon. I could not go to college when I first decided that I wanted to (about a year out of high school). I had been claimed on my dad's tax return too recently even though I had been living on my own. I waited a few years until they could only consider my income, and I got a PELL grant that covered my full costs. I've also been able to get multiple scholarships. They are not always based on academics. There is so much opportunity. I think that maybe people don't always know where to look for it.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 11:46 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I can totally see your point!
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 12:30 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Yes that is exactly what I am talking about education a different way. These kids are not going to be able to do it because the Mexican's are coming in and stealing our entry level jobs.
    mmmegan38

Comment by mmmegan38 (original poster) at 12:44 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Steph, the thing is some people learn better by hands on training and the kids who do need to be taught a different way. Yeah it is a weird stretch to see my point. My point is that we need to change our education system. To use the kids who are at entry level jobs now. I own a business and I can not find educated people to hire. I would even take a person who is educated and wants to learn those people do not exist. Really. They are not around.
    mmmegan38

Comment by mmmegan38 (original poster) at 2:31 PM on Sep. 24, 2010