At what age is a good age to start on baby food?

ajsmommy0801

Asked by ajsmommy0801 at 12:34 PM on Sep. 24, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I didn't start my kids on solids of any kind til at least 8 months... But I would say definitely not before 6 months...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:35 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Never. But, after 6 months and when you child can sit unassisted, you can introduce some finger foods, like avocado, baked sweet potato and bananas.

http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/babyledweaning.htm

http://www.babyledweaning.com/

IMO, if the need their food liquidy, they aren't ready to eat yet.

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:36 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Six months,possibly four.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 12:40 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I had to start my daughter at 5 months because formula wasn't filling her up anymore.
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 12:41 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• 2 months for baby cereal 4 month for veggies and 6 months for fruits and 8 for meats

finger foods when they can hold it or pick things up with their fingers
    Smiley001

Answer by Smiley001 at 12:43 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Age isnt the best indicator (most arent ready until at LEAST 6 months... but some later than that!)
    You need to wait until
    -the tongue thrust reflex is gone, and baby no longer pushes food out of their mouth.
    -baby can sit-up unsupported

You dont need to introduce baby food. At this point, just tiny bits of the food you eat is ok (although start with one at a time. Avocado is a GREAT first food... so is sweet potatoes!)
    wendy46121

Answer by wendy46121 at 12:43 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Before a year BM or formula should be where all their nutrition and calories come from...anything else is strictly for fun. They used to recommend feeding the cereal and mush at 4 months because formula didn't have as much iron in it and babies needed it. Now, it has plenty enough. Your baby can survive on BM or formula only for a long time..even if they were 15lbs at birth.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:43 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I started at 4 mos but now I have heard that it is better to wait till 6 mos
    beckygeiger

Answer by beckygeiger at 12:44 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I started mine on cereal at 2 weeks, veggies at 6 weeks and fruits at 8 weeks. He was on table food only by 8 months old...all with the ok of 2 doctors. You feed your child when YOU and the doctor feel it is time for your child to eat, every child is different and some can handle it earlier than others while others can't handle it until later.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:10 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I didn't do solids til my DD was about 8 months old
    stressedmomma13

Answer by stressedmomma13 at 9:07 PM on Sep. 24, 2010