Dental questions to Dentists Moms out there...

My son has to get one of his tooth pulled and a few cavities...that the dentist proposed to fill. the quote is roughly $2250. the insurance maxes out at about $850...now for children is it a MUST TO DO the fillings for the tooth that will come out anyway? i understand about the one that needs to have the space maintainer, but the others...im just curious about, especially the dentist didnt look to excited when i said i want to see what the insurance will be paying for first...2. would you the dentist be ok if i tell you i want a second opinion on this 3. were you someone's second opinion and did you find that the patient even need the services their previous dentist told them they need to begin with? 4. does my son's x-rays go with us when we go for second opinions?

FON

Asked by FON at 12:42 PM on Sep. 24, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Why would a dentist be on cm in the middle of the day during the week? I guess maybe one on leave, a former dentist, or someone that worked with dentists.

As a parent it's been my experience different dentists can have different opinions and you own your x-rays. Pediatric dentists usually want to do the most work and charge the most.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:45 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Just to clarify i certainly don't want to take an active Dentist's time away from their patients...there are alot of moms out there with variety of professions...i certainly do not expect a stat answer to my questions....so please do what you all do best is taking care of your patients and if you are so kind and want to take the time to answer me that would be nice.
    FON

Comment by FON (original poster) at 12:51 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Dentists have their own fee schedules and that if you go to another DDS for a 2nd opinion you will get charged for it-- and some ins companies have 'rules' about how many exams they will pay for per year, or frequency for exams.
    As a former dental assistant here is what I would do--- I would talk to the dentist, ask for a treatment plan for all of the work that needs to be done and cost. I would have them send my insurance company a pre-estimate outlining what needs to be done and cost. I would call my ins company and ask for a run-down of my benefits, if there is a deductible and what the dates are (like Jan-Dec) for coverage. Then I would set up appointments- doing the most urgent first. I would also stretch the appointments out so they go into 2011 and are covered by the next years insurance.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 2:31 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I'm not sure what would happen. But I would want him to have it done incase it would affect his teeth in the long run
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 2:56 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• For a 2nd opinion you can ask your dentist to forward your xrays or the new dds can call and request them.
    Yes cavities in 'baby' teeth should be treated, because you do not want the decay to get worse cause more work to be done on the tooth, cause it to break, or end up being removed prematurely. (example- a cavity is not fixed, decay gets worse and tooth ends up abcessing and needing a root canal or extraction).
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 3:21 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• it is the end of the year and your benefits are likely to reset in january. why not ask the dentist to do the most urgent work now, and then in january finish the job?
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:42 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Never worry about getting a second opinion! If your DDS has a problem with that then you are with the wrong DDS.
    Radarma

Answer by Radarma at 12:11 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I am NOT a dentist, so it would depend on him. If the teeth are coming out then I wouldn't do the fillings! WHY? Yo quoted, "MUST TO DO the fillings for the tooth that will come out anyway?"
    NicolesMommy

Answer by NicolesMommy at 1:57 AM on Sep. 26, 2010

• He wants to fill baby teeth?
    I'd be outta there.
    mp3mom

Answer by mp3mom at 1:07 AM on Sep. 29, 2010