when did you start your baby on thicker formula/rice cereal/cereal??

what made you do it? do you feel it helped them sleep longer?

mamagee1218

Asked by mamagee1218 at 12:45 PM on Sep. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My mother was like your grandmother. She kept pushing the cereal. With my first, I tried it. Not in the bottle, but with a spoon. At 12 weeks. It didn't make him sleep and it messed up his stomach. He got constipated. Then I had to start fruit. It was all way too early and I was sorry I listened to her. With my other 2 children I waited until 5-6 months for solids and it was better. It's hard, but stand up for what you know to be best. My mother didn't stop with me, but went on to annoy my sisters. But that's not my problem!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:05 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Breastfed and never fed rice cereal. It should not be added to bottles, choking hazard. Studies show it doesn't make babies sleep through the night. The very earliest is should be started is 4 mo. It is recommended to wait on solids until 6 mo when an infant's digestive track is more mature and less likely to be damaged. Cereal causes constipation. It isn't needed since iron is now added to formula and breastmilk has iron.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:49 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Four months is the earliest for ANY type of solids for a formula baby, six months for breastfed. If they need the super-watered-down stuff, you've started it too soon.

I used banana rather than cereal, which is pretty hefty and thick from the start just like thick cereal, and started it at six months. Improve sleep? Heh heh heh... nope. We actually did a survey on the breastfeeding moms group some time back and found cereal made the babes sleep WORSE, not better.

See...you can do all kinds of things that can make sleep WORSE, but not one single thing YOU do will make them sleep more if they are not ready for it. If they sleep better, it's purely coincidental to your actions.

Best way to get them to sleep better? Pay attention to their sleepy times and abandon the "shoulds." There is NO age when they "should" sleep better.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:51 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Forcing a baby to sleep longer ROBS them of essential nutrients to grow.

Rice cereal is an EMPTY FILLER. Which means instead of getting 8oz of nutrient dense food (breastmilk or formula) they are getting 8oz of almost NO nutrients... Yes it "fills them up" But no it does NOT give them what they need to grow and be healthy.
    wendy46121

Answer by wendy46121 at 12:52 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Thickened anything making a child sleep longer is an old wives tale and can be harmful if given (a) in a bottle at any age & (b) before, preferably, 6 months.  Please do all the research and speak to your doctor before ever trying to thicken formula for sleep purposes.

mama_l

Answer by mama_l at 12:49 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• That is a myth. What that does is sit like a brick in their stomach and it isn't good for their digestion.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:51 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Here is info about other problems with feeding cereal including obesity and about one of the studies that has shown cereal doesn't make babies sleep through the night.

http://www.drgreene.com/qa/baby-bottles-and-cereal

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:53 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• "she rasised 3 kids so its hard to tell her she doesnt know as much as she thinks she does... "

\We know more than they did in Grandma's day. When I was born, doctors were RECOMMENDING cigarettes! Times change. Knowledge increases. Get her diapering techniques and her cookie recipes. Don't worry about the rest.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:24 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• 2 months and yes it did help them sleep longer
    Smiley001

Answer by Smiley001 at 12:46 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• All 3 of my kids was on cereal at 4 months. And yes it kept them full and they slept longer
    redrose36

Answer by redrose36 at 12:47 PM on Sep. 24, 2010