What's your first thought when you see a homeless person?

I used to automatically think that they must be a drug addict or alcoholic, but a co-worker of mine is homeless. When she was in her teens her mother became disabled and had to go into assisted living. She has been on her own since she turned 18 and does not make enough money to afford a rent, so she lives out of her car.... needless to say, I do not automatically think that anymore.

Namaste17

Asked by Namaste17 at 12:57 PM on Sep. 24, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Only ones that bother me are the veterns.
    However, many are homeless due to the economy only.
    CandyHorse

Answer by CandyHorse at 12:59 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• anyone can be homeless.everyone is just one check away from being there themselves
    diana398

Answer by diana398 at 12:59 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• it makes me wish i was rich so i could help them :(
    AWebber212

Answer by AWebber212 at 12:59 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• my firsst thought is..how cold is it going to get tonight
    even in summer, nights are cold
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 1:00 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I usually think "oh, poor thing..." I honestly never automatically assume they are drunks or drug addicts. And even if they are, I don't know the circumstances, so who am I to judge? I actually got pretty friendly with a homeless guy when I worked downtown San Francisco, I'd bring him books, and one year got him a new sleeping bag for Christmas, stuff like that. He was such an amazing, interesting guy, and very smart. Then about a year and a half after I met him, he was attacked at night by some young punks who basically bashed in his head with a baseball bat. He survived, but mentally he just wasn't the same anymore, he couldn't read anymore, and he had a speech impediment. Broke my heart... People are such assholes sometimes.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 1:01 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Every situation is different and I feel sad and wish there was something I could do to help when I see a homeless person. Nobody knows what circumstances led them to where they are and I also think it's horrible to assume they are druggies or alcoholics. It's very sad.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 1:02 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• i would always try to give them dollars, hubby would get mad at me he would say that some were alcoholics, once i gave this man $2dollars& i could smell the liquor bad, so now i tell him whenever we have extra cash we need to go help feed them downtown, my aunt does that sometimes.
    gabby06

Answer by gabby06 at 1:05 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• i learned years ago that a lot of them are actually scams and they've become rich off of pretending to be homeless...this was a news article and since then i have to wonder who is really in need and who is mooching off hardworking people in order to pay their pool boy
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 1:05 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• allishott2 yes i have also seen a few of those, a few yrs ago i went to get my income tax , well the office where i got it there was a lady asking for money , the agent in the office told me that a Cadillac dropped her off everyday, also hubby n i were once by the mall n a man was asking for money, well this other vehicle in traffic stopped him cause they were friends, the guy was asking him what was he doing? i couldnt believe it, but yes i also see many downtown in the rain n cold weather.I feel bad for those.
    gabby06

Answer by gabby06 at 1:15 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I think how sad.................
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 1:17 PM on Sep. 24, 2010