tell me if this is the right thing to do...y do i feel guilty for it??

when my dd is starting to look and act tired after her noon bottle i put her in her swing so she can take a nap because OVERTIRED is BAD!! lol we have learned that the hard way...but i feel so bad, like i am putting her over there alone and shes thinking i dont want to spend time with her....she doesnt WANT to be tired....she wants to smile at me and play but i cant ignore the fact that she needs a nap....btw shes 9 weeks

mamagee1218

Asked by mamagee1218 at 1:05 PM on Sep. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Babies that age hun are happy if they have a clean butt, a full belly, aloving hand when needed and a quiet place to sleep If you are giving your child all that then stop worrying. babies that age need 16-18 hours of sleep.
    wildwiccan83

Answer by wildwiccan83 at 1:12 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• You have a long 18 years ahead of you.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 1:05 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Lambdarose, isn't it best for the OP to be aware that sleeping in a swing COULD possible be a risk? And then let her make her decision? I know that I would want to know this if I were in her shoes.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:33 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• she does not think that. babies don't think that way. you have no reason to feel guilty for making her nap
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 1:07 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Babies don't think that way. Don't worry about it. (The college fund is always a valid source of worry... if you need to worry, you can always worry about that!)

Answer by gdiamante at 1:10 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Perhaps to ease your concern you could hold her occasionally and rock her to sleep, without the swing. The main thing is not to feel guilty. You know your baby better than anyone, and know what works best for her. Follow your instincts.
    thismamacooks

Answer by thismamacooks at 1:11 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• It's not recommended for babies to sleep sitting in swings. Their head can drop just a little and even with supervision they can stop breathing. It's not good for growing organs. It can affect baby's development if they spend too much time in seats. Perhaps this is a bed-like swing.

A 9 week old doesn't want to smile at you and play, she doen't have this level of development. It's important for young infants to be held a lot. You could feed her and hold her while she falls asleep and naps. If possible you could transfer her to her bed on her back.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:13 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• There is a slightly higher risk of SIDS when an infant sleeps in an upright position...Not a scare tactic, but a slightly higher risk.

That being said, I didn't know this when my kids were infants and they slept in the swing quite often. The biggest problem that I had, was transitioning them to the crib when they got too big for the swing. Hindsight, I wish I would have put them in their crib from the beginning, and saved the swing for awake times when my hands were full and I needed a "break".

NEVER feel guilty for doing what you know is best for your child.... An infant should ideally be taking two naps a day!
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 1:34 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• sleeping in a swing is ok as long as you can supervise your baby and she soesn't spend more than I think it's 30 minutes at a time in there. Gailll is good at scare tactics. If you worry about SIDS and the swing, just move baby to her bed after she falls asleep.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 1:41 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Why not just rock her yourself? I just wouldn't want to create a sleep association with something she's going to outgrow pretty soon. It'll be several years before she outgrows your arms! :)
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 2:06 PM on Sep. 24, 2010