How many of you still enjoy play time with your teens?

Okay I know this probably sounds weird, but I was just thinking how many other mothers actually take time to play with their teens. I have two boys 12 and 16, and it occurred to me last night that I'm pretty lucky. My boys are all boy, don't get me wrong they are not shy, they are not "momma's boys" and they are popular, very athletic, very smart and great sense of humor. Last night we were all watching John Stewart and the Colbert Report and my older son was laying in my lap, my younger was behind the couch annoying his older brother, then they started including me in their back and forth antics. We ended up laughing so hard I was crying, wrestling around on couch and just joking around with each other...at bed time it was hugs and kisses. I just wonder if other moms keep this connection with their teens. We play football, wrestle, baseball, tell jokes, etc. I feel blessed that my children want to include me

blessedwboysx3

Asked by blessedwboysx3 at 1:09 PM on Sep. 24, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Sometimes a cuddle is just a cuddle.In Jan 09 my 26 yr old had been home for a visit through Christmas and would soon be deployed from Anchorage.Because of the type of job he has he and his men just leave without fanfare..Just a call saying he was leaving and very little contact.The morning he was to go back his dad had gone for a walk and I was still in bed trying to not panic.He came in laid down beside me,put his head on my shoulder ,held my hand and we talked for an hour.Not about deployment just stuff,his sister and brothers woke up came in and got in/on bed also.We got up and started the day.At the airport,family of active duty are allowed to the gates ,we ALL hugged and kissed him.Including the brothers of the no affection age stage.Sometimes a hug,a kiss and a cuddle is just a sign of affection with nothing sexual about it at all.

drfink

Answer by drfink at 2:31 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• yes, my family and two neighbor families have a tradition of buying the newest super duper soakers in the spring each year.One for each and every family member including moms.Hysterical!!!! In July my oldest was home and all three families minus moms were running up and down the street in a massive water fight.I was in charge of talking to homeowners on my street about a entrance change so I am talking to new neighbor across the street when they run by.She shakes her head and asks could I imagine a bunch of grown men behaving that way with their kids.I told her yes and said which were mine.She told me just leave it in the mailbox.HAHAHA can only imagine what she thought when the three moms joined a bit later.

drfink

Answer by drfink at 1:26 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I have ongoing close relationships with my adult sons. I don't think wrestling is appropriate, laying on my lap, and we aren't kissy. My youngest is 22 and we do things like go to concerts and take trips together. I have been a single mom since he was born. Sometimes we watch movies in my big bed together if I'm not feeling well, no sharing covers or snuggling and there is usually a big dog between us.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:29 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Oh drfink I love summer when we play with the water guns or the hose. Last year when I lived in my apartment when my husband and I were going through some things the boys would come on the weekends (with my husband) and we would go to the pool. Most times I would read while the boys enjoyed their time in the pool with their dad wrestling around, but many times they would come over pick me up and throw me in. All out war insued. :)
    I don't think when they are moved out they will be laying in my lap or cuddling. I don't exactly call it call it cuddling, I mean they rest their head on my lap or my shoulder, or sometimes its just their feet. Wrestling is actual wrestling both my boys are state champions and we wrestle no different than they would in a match. Movies we share popcorn and share blankets on the couch. Its just nice to have the closeness.. Kisses on the cheek and hugs every day and lots of I love yous.
    blessedwboysx3

Comment by blessedwboysx3 (original poster) at 1:43 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• no and I have to say I'm quite jealous. We do all eat dinner together almost every night though.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 7:27 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I do. My 14 yr old will cuddle on the couch with me and watch movies, he tries to wrestle with me but I can still take him down!! LOL!! We play baseball, tag, etc. He gives me a hug before going into school, tells me he loves me all the time. He even tells me that he will raise his kids like I raised him.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:57 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• i still do it..i think it keeps the lines of communication an trust open..when they feel comfortable to play an joke with me...they wont be scared to talk to me about important things..they friends also talk to me about personal things.
    FreeSpriT4eva

Answer by FreeSpriT4eva at 11:31 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I do
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 12:53 AM on Sep. 25, 2010