Am I the only one ?

Anytime I am in the cold, no matter how bundled up I am including a hat or ear muffs a heavy jacket etc.. I ALWAYS get a wicked headache and a really bad ear ache. It always is worse on the left side but my right side gets hit too. I have always been this way but I have never asked the doc about it. It is not something that even crosses my mind until it is cold like today. I have tried making sure I am in constant motion outside, no motion and moderate motion and all times I get this. Anyone else??

LovinEveryDay

Asked by LovinEveryDay at 8:06 PM on Oct. 20, 2008 in Health

• right there with you - mine comes from the drainage tube from the ear to the throat - on most people they close up in early childhood, mine never closed. When I am in the cold, if I breathe in through my mouth I can feel the cold travel from my throat to my ear. One side is worse than the other - every time I have a sore throat I get ear infections and vise verse - sucks!!! - headaches are HORRIBLE - when it is cold I have to wear a scarf and keep it over my mouth as much as possible to keep the cold out - I also use ear plugs (the soft molded kind) if I am not going to be some where that I have talk to a lot of people, I use them to keep the cold out of my ears

AndreaRUJuiced

Answer by AndreaRUJuiced at 10:32 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• Oh, and for the "drink a lot of water" statements I do and take water with me too.
    LovinEveryDay

Answer by LovinEveryDay at 8:07 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• wow that just sounds crazy! You know all i can really think of is maybe a tooth issue. Liek the cold hits it and then, i dont know gets irritated or something. Pretty far fetched though LOL Sorry wish i could help
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 8:11 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• You know when you eat ice cream and you get an ice cream headache? The thing that causes this is in the upper back of the throat. Like right in front of the uvula. When something as cold as ice cream hits that spot, it causes a headache. Okay, that's one part of it. The other part is your eustachian tube. When kids are little, the reason they get ear aches/infections is because from the outside ear to the throat, the tube is horizontal. It doesn't drain well into the back of the throat like an adults. Over time it starts to slope down, and they don't have as many infections, because it drains properly. So my thought is, that there is either not enough slope, or something (flap of skin) missing, that causes the cold air to rush in, and get to that part in the back of your mouth.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 8:23 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• ear muffs?

IDK, I'd make an appointment with an ENT doc about it.
    Anonymous

• No, I have never had brain freeze. The backs of my eyes and my throat get cold when I eat ice cream.
    LovinEveryDay

Answer by LovinEveryDay at 9:53 AM on Oct. 21, 2008