I have short nipples.

And all my babies have issue with latching. Give me some tips or advice or whatever how can I make this baby latch better. I REALLY want to bf this baby is my last one.

p.s. The not latching properly it because my short nipples? They are really, really small.

sweetyazfl

Asked by sweetyazfl at 1:11 PM on Sep. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The nipple doesn't have to be long or large. A Latch Assist (made by Lansinoh,. available at baby stores) can work WONDERS. So can breast shells, which are worn when NOT nursing to pull the nipple out more.

When latching, pull baby's chin down and then insert nipple. Plan to do this over and over, whenever baby tries to change the latch.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:20 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• See an IBCLC. Meet with your local LLL and attend their meetings. Listen to Gdiamante :) She knows her stuff.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:28 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Mine are completely flat. I just pull them up a little and we do it.

Some babies don't master the latch until day 3 or 4. That's okay. It's normal. Just don't give up.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 1:37 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• You can buy shells online or at many stores. A good way to think of it is that if you have the baby on right the baby isn't nursing on your. The nipple is more of a target. If you have an epidural you are going to have more problems because of all the IV fluids they have to give you. These fluids make you engorged and make it harder for the baby to nurse. Not only can you wear the shells before the baby but you can also wear them after the baby is born and they can help prevent or treat engorged breasts.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/bfhelp-mother.html

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:42 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I left out a word. The baby isn't nursing on your nipple.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:43 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Not sure if they are talking about the same thing, but I used nipple shields. They sell them at Target by the breast pump supplies. Buy several because you need to wash them after every use. They go over your nipple and make it so the baby can latch on. Then they suck the milk through a small hole at the end. They work great.
    moviemom22

Answer by moviemom22 at 4:20 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Thank you very much.. Where can I find the breast shells?!
    sweetyazfl

Comment by sweetyazfl (original poster) at 1:22 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• thanks krysta!
    sweetyazfl

Comment by sweetyazfl (original poster) at 1:35 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Thanks ladies for always being so helpful! :)
    sweetyazfl

Comment by sweetyazfl (original poster) at 6:33 PM on Sep. 24, 2010