how do i get my baby on a feeding schedule?

my son is 7 weeks old and doesnt eat at the same time every day and everyone is tellin me i need to get him on a schedule but how?

ajsmommy0801

Asked by ajsmommy0801 at 1:13 PM on Sep. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• why does he need a schedule? just feed him when he is hungry. that is the only schedule i ever used. don't worry about what anyone elses says. there is no fit all rules for babies. you are doing fine. good luck and enjoy your little one.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 1:16 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Feed when he's hungry. Scheduling can lead to failure to thrive. If YOU are fine with how things are, ignore "everyone." (99 percent of the time you should indeed ignore "everyone.")

Answer by gdiamante at 1:18 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Breastfed babies do well eating on demand. They are always changing to meet the baby's changing development and other needs. If you don't breastfeed you can try to duplicate the breastfeeding experience by holding baby close, switching sides while feeding, having skin to skin contact, and feeding on demand. What you can't do is give the baby how ever much the baby will suck down. Bottle fed babies can't regulate intake, it's nothing like breastfeeding. You can't exceed the daily max for the age of your baby. It can help prevent digestive problems, acid reflux, and constipation if you have frequent small feedings. Babies don't have to have schedules.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:20 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• He doesn't need a schedule. People told me the same thing with my twins, but I just feed them when they are hungry.
    TALuke

Answer by TALuke at 1:20 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• My baby is on a schedule because she eats through a tube in her belly. (Lots of medical problems that themselves are quite the long story). To be perfectly honest, we hate it and wish she could just tell us when to feed her.

If you don't feel comfortable with him on a schedule, or just plain don't see the need, trust those Mommy instincts and don't do it. When people ask, you can give them any answer from "I can't even imagine doing that!" to "This is working fine for us right now." or just not offer any information.
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 10:31 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• Feed the baby when you see hunger cues. Ignore "everyone" else and go with the Mommy Intuition!
    MommaNoonoo

Answer by MommaNoonoo at 10:49 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• You don't, he will either put himself on one or he won't. Feed him when he is hungry!
    clovismommy25

Answer by clovismommy25 at 2:26 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• My DD is 5 months old and she does not have a feeding scehdule. We feed her when she seems hungry or around 3-4 hours. But sometimes evry 2 hours, sometie severy 5 hours....depends on her.
    jet360

Answer by jet360 at 3:25 PM on Sep. 25, 2010