Should I be scared?

Bad question, but I am scared nd not sure if I am over reacting. I am leaving my daughter to CIO tonight. She is almost 11 months old and still does not know how to soothe herself to sleep. What harm can be done letting them CIO? She has been crying for about 15 minutes now and is now laying down only crying off nd on. Should she be okay?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:19 PM on Oct. 20, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• She'll be fine. Especially if she's not crying non stop or screaming her head off.
    Maybe don't do it all in one night though if she doesn't stop in say 10-15 more mins. Try letting her cry for 20-25 mins tonight and add 5-10 mins every night until she gets the message. Just a thought! Hope it works for you!!!
    DianalovesRich

Answer by DianalovesRich at 8:24 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• Yes. As long as she is safe in her crib and you are checking on her every five minutes or so. No worries mama, stay strong. If you allow her to cry for fifteen minutes and go in there and get her, it will only make her cry longer next time. And she will never learn how to soothe herself.
    She will be ok. And if you keep this up and keep giving her a set bed time routine (dinner, bath, snuggle and then bed) she'll will get it. It will take a couple of weeks though.
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 8:25 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• Just make sure and check on her. I wouldn't let her wail for hours. Maybe a nice warm bath, rocking in the dark. Maybe try a schedule with her. If she's used to being held every time she cries, she's come to expect it. So just be patient with her. And start a good nighttime routine. If you are calm, she'll be calm. But, if she feels your tension, it will make her more upset.
    mrstremblay

Answer by mrstremblay at 8:25 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• There are many harmful properties to CIO. Check out the group called CIO Alternatives they will help you find a way that is nourishing for both you and your LO. Please go love that child! All you are doing is reinforcing the fact that mama won't be there for baby in her time of need. Sleep is a developmental stage reached in baby's own time. Baby WILL reach that point and it will be soon so hang in there, you have made it this far, I am sure you could make it one more month. Basically why risk the possible side effects when you can get there in a healthy way?  Of course your baby may be "just fine" but I am sure you are reaching for far beyond "just fine", as good parents should.

Anonymous

• I am watching her on the video monitor now and she is out like a light all snuggled up with her "lovey." So in all she only cried for about 20 minutes.
    Anonymous

• No harm will be done. crying wont hurt her one bit.
    Nora1

Answer by Nora1 at 8:30 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• Oh good :) 20 minutes isn't bad at all!
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 8:32 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• Good job mama!!!
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 8:37 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• It depends on who you want to believe. Harvard did a study finding that CIO does harm babies.

It's really more likely to harm your own conscience. I'd rather never sleep again in my life than to let a baby cry. To me, infants are like my mother when she was dying. she'd lost the power of speech and could only moan and cry. Of course I went to her every single time; how could I not? An infant is no different in my mind.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:41 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• i dont know at that age i think cio can be a way to soothe ones self. How often do yuo as an adult just need to cry stuff out. She will be fine. I would stay by her bedside but she will be okay. Im sure you covered your bases with fever teething etc. Dont worry too much itll be okay
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 8:45 PM on Oct. 20, 2008