Should Christians Celebrate Halloween ?

I am a christian , I found my faith in God on my own and never was forced to believe in one thing or another . I do see that some people who claim to be christians that celebrate Halloween , they allow their children celebrate as well and My thoughts were very hypocritical of that and didn't think it is ok but I can't find any scripture saying its wrong or sinful to do so being a child of God . So is it wrong for a christian to celebrate Halloween ? Do you see the hypocracy in it as I do or am I just closed minded and accept that this is how society works now ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:25 PM on Oct. 20, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• Do you understand the origins of Halloween? Halloween is evolved from All Hallows Eve, which of course precedes All Hallows Day or Hallowsmasse. This is a *Christian* holiday, celebrating the Saints.

Centuries ago, the Celts believed that on one night of the year, the dead were able to walk the earth. They honored this night between the end of the harvest and the beginning of winter (a time associated with death in those days), with a celebration called Samhain. When they were conquered by the Romans, the Romans combined Samhain with their own celebration of the dead, Feralia, and with their celebration of Pomona, the Roman Goddess of Fruit & Trees. (Offhand: The symbol for Pomona was an apple, and this celebration is where bobbing for apples is thought to have begun). Cont...
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 9:03 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• what is your reasoning for thinking it is sinful? the candy or the dressing up as fictional characters?
    Anonymous

• i think you need to think outside the book and have a little fun with life.
    chagenue

Answer by chagenue at 8:34 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• My dear, My dear... alot of Christian churches have Halloween celebrations.. so do Catholics, Methodist and Lutherns... Heck I even know some Muslims that celebrate... I may be wrong, but God did not put us on this earth to worry about every little thing that happens.... You live your life, you will sin from time to time, everyone does... but it does not make anyone wrong to celebrate Halloween... Now, if we were all sitting around worshiping the devil on Halloween, well then you might have cause for concern.. but for now, have some fun and loosen up!
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 8:35 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• I'd say its up the the particular Christian...and the reason they might think it is wrong...

If your PERSONAL interpretation of the Bible, or your PERSONAL religious opinion sees it as wrong, then to celebrate it would be hypocritical...but that doesn't make it so for ALL Christians...

After all, birthday parties aren't in there either. And neither is Christmas...and, if the arguement is that Halloween isn't a Christian holiday, Yule is as much of a Pagan holiday as Samhain.
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 8:35 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• I'm a Christian, and we celebrate Halloween. There are no scriptures against celebrating Halloween....we actually have a Halloween trick-or-treat outreach at our church. If you don't feel comfy celebrating it, then don't...it's your own personal conviction. But don't allow other people to tell you that you can't.
    KennsWifey

Answer by KennsWifey at 8:35 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• why would it be wrong?! I dont see what the big deal is about it.
    mamaxkitty

Answer by mamaxkitty at 8:35 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• the Spanish culture celebrate it as a spiritual thing and have big feasts to remember there ancestors before them, Halloween isn't really evil it's just but publicised as such you're just celebrating spirits and death well for some, most people just celebrate it because it's fun to dress up and receive candy, either way it's up to you personally not your religion.
    workenmom

Answer by workenmom at 8:37 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• I grew up in a strict Christian childhood, We celebrated harvest... We never made it scary or evil so to speek. We would go to the church harvest party, dress up as bible characters or pretty things and we had alot of fun. We never went trick or treating, but we always got candy from mom and dad. We would decorate with corn and leaves, and we would always carve pumpkins and have a great holiday. So I think there are ways you can make it a great holiday that works for you, your family and you new found christianity. Make a new tradition, something you all agree on thats still safe and of course a blast! There are lots of ways to still enjoy Halloween. Besides you dont want to deprive your kids from what thier friends are excited about. Kids love halloween!
    nicholelpb

Answer by nicholelpb at 8:47 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• I am a Christian and I do let my kids celebrate halloween. I never let them be anything scary or evil. Sometimes they argue wth me about it, but I remind them that we want to honor God and I don't think it honors God for us to be waering those things. I know this is a controversial subject for Christians. I think God knows our heart when we are making this choice. If it doesn't feel right for you and your family, don't do it. If you do feel its ok- just remind your kids that we want to honr God with our actions and behavoir.
    mykidsrock77

Answer by mykidsrock77 at 8:53 PM on Oct. 20, 2008