How old

What age is appropriate for a kid to go to a fueral? Just curious.

Fairy_Wings

Asked by Fairy_Wings at 1:49 PM on Sep. 24, 2010 in General Parenting

• i would also say 10 and up but no younger then 8. Younger then that and they just dont have the sit still, be quiet, ability for very long. Not to mention the emotionally charged atmosphere just doesn't seem good for a child. I will never make my son go to one but he wont have the option till he is 10.
    wildwiccan83

Answer by wildwiccan83 at 2:00 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I would say all ages. But it depends on who it is also. If it is a close family member, they are going regardless of age. If its a family friend...and they are in their terrible twos or something similar...they can stay home.
    tiger_tatted1

Answer by tiger_tatted1 at 1:51 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• i was 8 when i went to my first funeral
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 1:53 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I would say 8 and up, some kids may be traumatized by the event, so unless it is a very close family member, I wouldn't expose them

Answer by older at 1:53 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Birth... I have never left my kids at home. Maybe you can't keep them there for the full time, but they should be exposed to that type of thing from as early as possible... Plus, it tends to be good for the mourners to have a baby around to make them smile.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:54 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I think it depends on who died.. No reason for them to go to funerals of people they hardly knew before they're 12-13.. But if it's a close friend of a loved family member, all ages.
    mysevenkids

Answer by mysevenkids at 1:54 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I think it depends on the child, and how close they were to the deceased. My children have gone to funerals since they were babies.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 1:55 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• 10 and up
    babymom596

Answer by babymom596 at 1:56 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• My first funeral was when I was eight and it was my cousin's. At least that's the first one I can remember attending. We were very close though, like best friends so that's why my mom let me attend. If it was anyone else, probably not. I think if they're old enough to behave and can understand what a funeral is and what it's for, then that's old enough. My daughter is two and there's no way I'd take her to a funeral. She is so energetic and isn't old enough to understand. She would make more a scene.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 2:17 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• My son was 9 when he went to his first funeral. It upset him to see me crying. But, in general, he did OK. We talked about everything so he knew what to expect.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 2:31 PM on Sep. 24, 2010