PLEAZE HELP MY SON IS CONSTIPATED

My son is 19 months and struggles to go poop...he is squinting his eyes and shaking and crying trying to go poop. Is there some thing that can help his bowels....any over the counter baby or toddler meds?

christinkie

Asked by christinkie at 1:59 PM on Sep. 24, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Prune juice! But if he wont drink it, Apple juice..Problem is it takes a few hours to work. Good Luck!
    tiger_tatted1

Answer by tiger_tatted1 at 2:00 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Miralax was the only thing that helped my son -
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:01 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Lots of water and diluted juice!
    nmmama09

Answer by nmmama09 at 2:02 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Is this a chronic problem and if so, what does your pediatrician say about it? If its just an occasional problem, prune juice helps my guy go.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 2:05 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• prune or apple juice works well?
    christinkie

Comment by christinkie (original poster) at 2:08 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• well I tend to follow what my grand mother always did. A little (Like a tsp)kyro syrup in the bottle of a cup of juice or in the bottle of the bottle.
    luckypenny720

Answer by luckypenny720 at 2:11 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Prune juice is better but you don't need too much of it!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 2:24 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I use miralax on my 5 year old and that is what the doctors said to use. They also say when young to lay them on their backs and to pedal their legs like riding a bike. If want to use juice some said to use any flavor juicy juice, or even the new one called plum start. I hope all goes okay.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 3:07 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Kyro syrup! it definitely works in a matter of a few short hours...1 tsp in a 4oz bottle...and help massage his lower back...bike pedaling works well too
    chanelsparkels

Answer by chanelsparkels at 3:54 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I would not recommend miralax or karo syrup. Try giving him foods that are high in fiber. If this is a consistant problem, speak to the doctor about a fiber supplement. Karo can be dangerous for infants, I know your son is not an infant, but I would not use this. And as far as I know, Miralax isn't for kids. I know of someone whose son was using miralax (at age 3 or 4) and it messed with him. He's autistic, and when on the miralax, his vocabulary decreased dramatically. I've read a little about this, as I was curious, and found that my friends son is not the only kid to have vocab issues from Miralax. Fiber, prunes, prune juice, those are usually helpful. Stay away from rice and bananas for right now.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:12 PM on Sep. 24, 2010