Why do some parents let their teens dress SO inapropriate at school??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:59 PM on Sep. 24, 2010 in General Parenting

• Beats me.. I would never let my teens get out of the house looking like sluts..
    mysevenkids

Answer by mysevenkids at 2:01 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Some parents don't allow it - the teens redress after they get to the bus or school.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 2:02 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• twinsplus2more

I agree but don't these parents know what is in their kids' closets?
    mysevenkids

Answer by mysevenkids at 2:04 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• there is a 10 year old 4 houses down from me that is a little on the chunky side and she runs around in belly tops and daisy dukes all summer! When she goes to school her clothes are stained, ripped up, to low cut, or to high as well. She is the sweetest thing and is just imitating her rather chunk/ slutty dressing mother....which i guess is the sad thing.
    wildwiccan83

Answer by wildwiccan83 at 2:05 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I think it's because the parents are too lazy to actually parent OR their chlid has given them so much grief about wearing what they want and that they'll change when they get to school anyway that they just give up.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 2:06 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• myseven - some of the girls aren't wearing whats in their closet - they are borrowing clothes.

I've seen teen girls swapping clothes at the bus stop in the morning. I've seen teen girls trading clothes in the halls before school starts. So no, the parents may not know what their daughter is wearing to school. Especially those parents that decided that once they are in high school - you don't have to parent any more.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 2:12 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Especially those parents that decided that once they are in high school - you don't have to parent any more.

My point exactly, thank you!
    mysevenkids

Answer by mysevenkids at 2:14 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Probably a few reasons, one they dress like that and don't see anything wrong with it, or they are simply using the saying kids will be kids and some parents may legitimately not know or don't care.
    I buy my children's clothes so I get a say in what they will have in their closet, I think I'm lucky because I think boys are less apt to borrow clothes from friends. Not that my boys don't have moments of mismatching or sometimes they wear their pants low and look stupid (but they always pull them up when I tell them too - in fact their pants are made to hang low they pull them down)
    I have dressed a little wild in my youth and even when I was going through a very manic stage, but we've always told our children that how you dress is a reflection of character and who are - What do you want people to see? Its okay to have your own style and be different but society will always judge.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 2:31 PM on Sep. 24, 2010