Has anyone had a newborn fail the hearing screening at the hospital?

Before we left the hospital, we were informed our newborn failed the hearing screening. Has anyone else's baby failed this but turned out to hear just fine? We go next week for another screening. She will be 3 weeks then. They said it could possibly be from fluid in her ears or vernix. She swallowed a lot of fluid. They had to aspirate 12 cc's out of her belly twice in the first 24 hours. She was also covered in vernix. I remember telling my husband that she had gross stuff in her ear. I'm hoping that is all it is and nothing more serious.

BWIND

Asked by BWIND at 2:04 PM on Sep. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son failed a few times....he was in NICU and so they gave him the hearing test a couple times before he left. He failed and Had to take it again a few months later. He evenutally passed. It could be the fluid, or maybe she's just tired and not paying attention...could be a lot of things..but if the doctors don't worry about it, I wouldnt either.
    SarahNKnapp

Answer by SarahNKnapp at 2:07 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• My son did in his right ear, we went back and he was just fine, the Dr. told me it is common because alot of the time babies have fluid in their ears
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 2:07 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• i wouldn't worry, i think all my kids failed the first hearing test due to stuff in their ears, with my 2nd dd they did it twice in the hospital (was there for 2 full days/nights) and we still had to bring her back later and she hears just fine. with my ds (he's 18mo now) he failed the first one then they did it again right before we left and he finally passed so we could go home :P I think those things are kinda dumb to do right after birth, don't MOST babies still have gunk in their ears?
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 2:07 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• One of mine failed. Due to fluid in the ear. We went back a few days later and she was fine.
    Iluvmy5

Answer by Iluvmy5 at 2:10 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• my son failed but he passed a few weeks later! probably just fluid in the ears.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 2:13 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Thanks so much...that makes me feel a lot better because I've been worrying for two straight weeks. The nurse was very matter of fact about it. She did not have much empathy. Basically, the pediatrician came in and said Apgar scores were 8 and 9's....then two hours later...the nurse comes in when we had family in the room and told us she failed and could be deaf, but it also could be nothing. How horrible after right having a baby.
    BWIND

Comment by BWIND (original poster) at 2:34 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• It's not technically considered failing; they call it either pass or refer. Refer means they'll need some more tests. Most referrals turn out to have normal hearing.

My daughter was referred for both ears. We went to follow-up with an audiologist and she told me that even breathing loud enough to hear can interfere with the equipment, so she sees a lot of kids who failed their first hospital test. While my baby might actually have some difficulties (long story short, she's had a rough four months), it's most likely that even with a refer score, your baby is fine.
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 3:58 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• We went back today for a rescreen....Good news...she passed in both ears!
    BWIND

Comment by BWIND (original poster) at 7:45 PM on Oct. 1, 2010