Could it be more of that Democratic-Obamanomics Funny Math?

Are you a financial adviser? You may not know it, but you’ve got a green job. Are you a wholesale buyer? You’ve got a green job, too. Or maybe you’re a newspaper reporter. You, too, have a green job — at least according to the Obama administration.

For months, Republican Sen. Charles Grassley has been pushing the administration to substantiate its claims of having created nearly 200,000 green jobs. More fundamentally, Grassley has asked Labor Secretary Hilda Solis to state clearly what a green job is. So far, he hasn’t gotten an answer.

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 2:07 PM on Sep. 24, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Now, Grassley has learned that, in lieu of a settling on a straightforward definition of a green job, the administration has adopted an extraordinarily broad description of such jobs that could include not only financial advisers, wholesale buyers, and reporters, but also public relations specialists, marketing managers, and many more occupations that have nothing to do with protecting the environment.

If federal money has created any of those jobs, then the administration can claim to have created a green job.
    http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/politics/Billions-for-_green-jobs__-whatever-they-area-96098934.html

Do you value accountability in the same manner as Obama and his administration?
    grlygrlz2

Comment by grlygrlz2 (original poster) at 2:08 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Haven't looked into it, so I don't have an answer for you, but really.... creating jobs (green or not) is now a bad thing?
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 2:08 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• and he won't get an answer either
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 2:13 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Anouck, over half of the jobs are temporary jobs. Why kick the 'can' further down the road?
    grlygrlz2

Comment by grlygrlz2 (original poster) at 2:15 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I really like Grassly. Nobody ever hears about him though,he is equally offensive to both parties I think.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 2:17 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Amen, steph....best answer goes to you. He won't get an answer....so funny.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 2:18 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I read an article months ago that if a company reduces waste (can't remember the %) and stops providing paper cups and plates it can call itself a green company. Also if they switch to more than 40% recycled products such as toners, inks, paper and cleaning products. My company did all that and we've hired 9 people in the past 6 months. So I'd say the math looks good.
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 2:19 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Shhh, parrishky, don't use facts! Grlygrlz, that means half of those jobs are PERMANENT jobs, which means a steady income for a whole lot of families. And even temporary jobs is better than being on unemployment, no?

I guess my point is, no matter WHAT this President and his administration accomplish, he will NEVER get any credit from the right. It's just so offputting. It's like they don't WANT him to succeed.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 2:23 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I don't think the question is about how many jobs were created or if they are temp/perm. It is about how the admin is touting green jobs..when in reality almost any job qualifies as a green on...when in reality they don't even have a definition for the green jobs they are throwing billions at.

I think the Obama admin would be much happier if ALL the "we the people" stuck out heads in the sand.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 2:28 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• And I disagree with you on that one, yourspecialkid. Because any new job at this point to me is a good thing. How that can be considered sticking my head in the sand is a mystery to me. Oh well...
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 2:30 PM on Sep. 24, 2010