My 7 year old wants a BOYFRIEND!!

My 7 year old daughter told me she knows this cute boy and she's wants to ask him out. She says she wants to kiss him like me and her father do. I told her she's to young but she keeps asking everyday. She is a little rebel and I think she'll do it behind my back. What should I tell her??

Huggies098

Asked by Huggies098 at 8:56 PM on Oct. 20, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• At this age it is more like mimic (like mommy and daddy do) explain that she can be friends with him but the type of kissing that mommy and daddy do is for when you are older. I wouldn't say grown ups because she will see teens tongue locking and think you lied. By banning the idea of a boyfriend you will make it more appealing. Try asking her what she thinks a boyfriend really is. Odds are she actually has no clue.
    MysticFerret

Answer by MysticFerret at 1:44 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Yikes...I have to wonder why she is so overly sexual at such a young age. That is strange considering she shouldn't have the hormones to make this behavior desirable in her eyes. Does she watch TV or movies with sexual content a lot? Is she getting enough love and attention from her father? Even worse...is it even remotely possible that she could have been or is being molested? I have a 7 yr old girl & if she ever said this to me I would tell her that is not acceptable. If you find out she did it anyway punish her the same way you would for any other offense. No 7 yr old can handle the emotional impact of a relationship of this kind when it doesn't work out. Also talk to the boy's parents if you can. Ask them to tell him to stay away from her and reject her advances. They might not think this is okay either and can be allies for you.
    indexmom

Answer by indexmom at 12:08 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• my son is 8 and has had a little gf since pre-k. i've always met the girls and nothing other than hand holding and coloring each other's pages has been going on. he told me this last girl he liked wanted to kiss him and i told him that it is against school rules to touch other students so he can't kiss her. it's so funny at this age.....sometimes it's just a best friend of the opposite sex and yes sometimes it can be more (i know of girls at 10 and 11 knocked up) but i think that if you stay on top of it and mention to the teacher so she can keep out an extra eye it should be ok.
    collegemom27

Answer by collegemom27 at 9:49 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• You explain to her when she gets as old as mom and dad then she can do like mom and dad. right now she does like little girls do......Then you go play with her like LITTLE girls play....
    momofquinncruz

Answer by momofquinncruz at 10:31 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Overly sexual? For wanting to kiss a little boy?! I had little boyfriends in elementary school...my 7 year old niece is already talking about who the popular boys are, passing little love notes like "You're cute" or "I like you"...its all pretty harmless. Obviously a handful of kids will take it too far, but the rest are just trying to figure out different kinds of relationships. I think its just shocking for parents to hear for the first time.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 10:34 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• boyfriends at that age are no biggie. tell her she can ask him to be her boyfriend if she wants but explain to her that they could get in serious trouble from the school and his mom and dad if they do anything more than hold hands, cuz schools seriously frown on kissingand then she won't get to have him as her boyfriend! this takes the burden off you being the bad guy and if she feels alittle more in control of the situation she may not be so consumed with it. good luck!
    Sherry6470

Answer by Sherry6470 at 12:50 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• perfectly said mystic poster. well said :) I Agree.
    Willywonka06

Answer by Willywonka06 at 3:00 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Well you could let her have the bf but set some boundaries. Be in the room with them at all times. And talk to the boy's parents as well.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 3:20 PM on Oct. 21, 2008

• How sweet! Let her have a little fellow and probably if he tried to kiss her she would punch him in his nose! Kids always ask for wayyyy more than they expect just checking boundaries. I did! She wouldn't want him in a week after she sees they are all such "MEN!"
    1countrygal

Answer by 1countrygal at 4:23 PM on Oct. 21, 2008