Where do those huge white crosses in the countryside of KY and TN come from?

When we were on vacation, we saw a huge cross that looked several stories high just in a field somewhere (it seemed) and then we saw another one on the way to Dollywood. Does anyone know the story behind them or info on the internet about it? Thanks. Melanie

GodLovesMel

Asked by GodLovesMel at 8:57 PM on Oct. 20, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'm not sure about the one in Kentucky, but I know that there are THREE crosses that are roadside in Tennessee that were paid for and built by a pastor named James Potter.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 9:35 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• there is one in oklahoma along I40 headed towards texas
    Anonymous

• yeah im from kentucky and that is a cross on a church a big church..
    hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 10:21 PM on Oct. 20, 2008

• Maybe there's a cross fairy!(just kidding) It is because we are in the Bible Belt. That's what I have always heard, and I live in Tennessee. Believe me it really must be true, cause when it comes to religion here, ya better watch out!!!
    Freda01

Answer by Freda01 at 8:02 AM on Oct. 21, 2008

• Most of the crosses you'll see that are large like that usually come in sets of three, representing the crucifixion of Christ and the two men on either side of him. KY and TN are part of the Bible Belt. Bible belts are areas in which the people have professed a belief in Christ and social conservativeness and it's a dominant part of their culture. So naturally the local churches will come together to fund a reminder or an icon representing their beliefs. Hence the big white crosses in fields viewable from the road.

KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 8:21 AM on Oct. 21, 2008