I hate the flippin' dog!!!

We inhertited a 4 year old small yappy dog. From a family friend who could no longer keep it because of dog aggression with her big dog. My DD loves this dog. I can't leave it outside because it barks and barks. Last straw today I washed a load of clothes placed it on my bed to fold. In the meantime a repairman comes instead of having the dog nip at his feet the hole time I put him in my room. He PEED on my clean clothes and my bed. I hate to hurt my dd and cause friction with the friends but come on already. Keep it or give it the BOOT?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:09 PM on Sep. 24, 2010 in Pets

• You tried your best and it doesn't seem like a good match for your family. I couldn't deal with what you have described and my neighbors would not put up with the barking.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 2:12 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• TRAIN THE DOG!
    Don't just give up on the dog because right now it's out of control.
    It's not going to be easy, especially with a young dog, but it has to be done.

My dog is not even a year old yet and she goes nuts when she's left outside. It's just that they want someone to play with, they want attention, and they want companionship. They don't want to be alone. However, it's important to teach them it's okay to be alone. Give them toys to play with while they're outside, make sure they have clean water and some food, etc.

I would suggest cage training the dog. This means that everytime the dog does something wrong it goes into the cage. It also is taught to sleep in the cage at night. Also when the dog pees in the house, stick his nose to it say "No" firmly and take him outside immediately. Also, show dominance towards the dog by using force in your voice when reprimanding it.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:29 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Get a dog whistle it really does work and they r less then $10!!!! Also they make this spray that humans can't smell but they can and it keeps them away from things u don't want him by. Just train him,that is all he needs. Please don't give up on him!!!!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 2:14 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I agree with the training. Clicker training works wonders. I've found if you actually teach the dog to "speak" they are less likely to just bark any old time.

I will say that crate training is NOT putting the dog in the crate when they are bad. You shouldn't use the crate as a punishment. Also, NEVER stick a dog's nose in it's waste! That's horrible!

How long had it been since you had let the dog out to go potty? Small dogs have small bladders, and so they need to be taken out more often then bigger dogs do.
    HeatherReneeB

Answer by HeatherReneeB at 5:23 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I would talk to the friend and let her know that it just is not working out, and you can't keep the dog. Before giving the dog away i would ask her if she wants the dog back, if she wants to find it a home, or does she want you to find it a home. That way she has some say in what happens and she can't get mad at you for giving it away with out her permission.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 2:18 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Try training the dog!
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 4:18 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• If you decide to get rid of this dog, please do not get another unless you are 100% sure you can put the effort into training it properly. This is not the dog's problem, it is a training problem, which is YOUR problem. I totally understand not being able to handle it, and wanting to get rid of the dog. but don't turn around and get another dog, thinking it will be different. Dogs require training. They all have issues.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 7:08 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Forget the training! Give it to someone who would love it, train it, and be able to deal with all of its short comings. Srsly, it's not your fault and you didn't adopt it so you have no responsibility. Even if you did, you can humanely find it another (good) home.
    carol2m2

Answer by carol2m2 at 11:38 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Two words...crate train!!
    Anna-Chubaby

Answer by Anna-Chubaby at 1:20 AM on Sep. 25, 2010

• if your patience has worn thin with this dog and training is just to time consuming i would give the dog back to your friend to rehome and then just get your daughter an older trained not so much barking dog. craigslist has lots of great dogs.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 10:11 PM on Sep. 25, 2010